Sunday, April 30, 2006

A good way to start the week



Morning Glory Muffins
The Essential Eating Well Cookbook Copyright 2004

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
¾ cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots (4 medium)
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
½ cup raisins
1 large egg
2 large egg whites (or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions)
½ cup apple butter
¼ cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts or pecans I omitted these
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 18 muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in carrots, apple and raisins.
3. Whisk egg, egg whites, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about ¾ cup full. Combine walnuts and wheat germ in a small bowl; sprinkle over the muffin tops.
4. Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly., 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.

Makes 18 muffins. Per muffin: 161 cal, 4 g fat, 12 mg chol, 28 g carbs, 3 g pro, 2 g fiber, 145 mg sodium 35% DV Vit A

These muffins are so tasty and moist. They're a bit on the sweet side but I can forgive that. Unfortunately these are so good, I can't stop myself from eating them. I made 12 standard muffins and 18 mini-muffins and I've been popping those mini-muffins like candy. But hey, there are apples and carrots in these - I don't feel too guilty.

I really love this cookbook. I was going to feature it this weekend but I just didn't have the time. Maybe next weekend.

I think I'm getting back into a groove. For a few weeks, I wasn't inspired but I'm excited to cook again. This weekend I visited a small local grocery store that I tend to neglect. They have the best selection of organic food in the area and they've expanded their selection of fresh organic products which excited me. I can't afford to go totally organic but I'm doing what I can. I even got some all-natural chicken wings on sale. They'll be perfect for Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings.

Question of the Day: Do you buy organic?

No comments: