Thursday, July 20, 2006

Another quick and easy recipe to cap off a great week




Pasta With Chicken and Prosciutto
America’s Quick Cuisine Copyright 2004

½ cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth or dry white wine I used wine
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dried basil
8 ounces dried spinach spaghetti I used Dreamfields spaghetti
2 teaspoon olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 ounce prosciutto, cut into thin strips
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into ½-by-2-inch strips

1. In a small bowl, stir together broth, mustard, lemon juice, and basil. Set aside.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, cook spaghetti in about 8 cups boiling water until just tender to bite (8 to 10 minutes); or cook according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a wide nonstick frying pan or wok over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onions, garlic, and prosciutto; stir-fry until prosciutto is lightly browned (about 3 minutes). Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken and stir-fry until no longer pink in center, cut to test (3 to 4 minutes). Add broth mixture to pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
4. Drain pasta well and place in a warm bowl; spoon chicken mixture over pasta.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 399 cal, 37 g pro, 45 g carbs, 6 g fat, 72 mg chol, 670 mg sodium
_________________________________________

Another quick and delicious dinner. What a great week I had. I enjoyed every meal and never felt overwhelmed or rushed. I hardly spent any time in front of a hot stove either.

Out of all of this week's new recipes, I was most concerned about this one because I was worried it would be too-mustardy but it was really a nice tangy sauce. The flavors of the wine, mustard and lemon juice melded together really well, although I thought the basil was a bit overwhelming. I love basil but the dried basil taste was a bit strong. Fresh basil would be great in this.

This is from one of my newest cookbooks from Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Only $6.99 for over 800 'easy-to-follow' recipes. Recently while surfing around, I remember reading a cookbook review from someone who said they don't care for books that are just full of recipes, with no 'story' going along with it but I'm a sucker for those types of books when the recipes are good, especially when there are glossy pictures involved.

I hope next week goes as well as this week. The weekend weather forecast is looking pretty lousy so maybe I'll actually cook something over the weekend. Maybe.

Question of the Day: Do you cook more over the weekend or during the week?

8 comments:

Annie said...

The weekend. I don't feel rushed and I do a lot of prep on veggies and sides.

Heather said...

I tend to bake over the weekend and cook meals during the week.

DancesInGarden said...

I go through cycles of both. I have good intentions on the week-end but sometimes I peter out before dinner time rolls around. I look at all the stuff I bought special to make a big dinner, and wonder how long it will keep and what else I could do with it another day.

Unknown said...

In the past, more over the weekend. During school, most of my free time (HA!) is devoted to church and studying. I usually find time to make something during the week though. After that, I usually end up eating that one thing all week! :-)

Wanda said...

During the week, although I have gotten very lazy with meal prep. again. DH has three day weekends and the grandkids expect him to camp out with them at least one of those days in our cabin. So on those nights I don't cook.
Also, during the week the schedule is more calm and stable, and so more conducive to meal planning...not that I necessarily do that, but I could. LOL!

Randi said...

at first I thought those were clams!! It looks good, but I can't stand procuito( I know I spelled it wrong, Im too lazy to look it up).

ThursdayNext said...

Definitely the weekend since there is more time to shop and prep at leisure. :) I am trying this recipe this week. I love love love proscitto!

Anonymous said...

Dang this looks SO good!!!!! I am glad to hear that you had a streak of awesome cooking and meals!

I cook equally on any day, since becoming a housewife. We never used to eat out except on vacation, but this summer we started going to the beach every week or two, so that lunch I don't cook, but everything else is from scratch whenever we run out of the last meal. I feel bad when working moms are hard on themselves about not getting more done because if I am still busy.... Well let's just say that I would cook a lot less (and easier recipes) if I was working! Things go in waves anyway so someday we will all have more time to cook, if we want to anyways. I am impressed to see all the time management strategies that you developed over the years of writing this blog, like the make ahead things.