Friday, September 22, 2006

Something to go with the Spanish Rice and Ground Beef



Cornmeal Cheddar Muffins
Old-Fashioned Muffin Recipes Copyright 1993

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese I used Cabot 50% Light Cheddar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk I used Super Skim
¼ cup vegetable oil

In a mixing bowl sift together first five ingredients. Stir in shredded cheddar. In separate bowl combine liquid ingredients. Make a well or large indention in center of dry ingredients. Add liquid mixture and stir until barely moistened. Do not overmix. Fill greased muffins cups 2/3 full. Bake at 425 degrees F 15-20 minutes. Mine seemed to cook up superfast - in under 15 minutes.
____________________________

I chose this recipe because I had all of the ingredients on hand. These were just okay. I wanted something to go along with the Spanish Rice and Ground Beef. Although this recipe wasn't spectacular, I will make cornbread or corn muffins as a side with something like this again. It's something I just never think of but I think it will be on my radar from now on.

I did my grocery shopping last night and I got everything I should need for next week, except rolls for my husband's sandwiches. I like to get those on Saturday or Sunday so they're possibly fresher. But you know what will happen if I walk in the store for just rolls? I'll come out with at least $30 worth of groceries. I'd better send him for his own rolls because I don't want to spend any more money on food this week. Usually I end up running to the store a couple of more times over the weekend to pick up things I couldn't get at the first store or things I forgot to buy at the first store.

Blast From The Past: Classic Yellow Cake which I may be making again this weekend (but not as pumpkins). I'm not sure yet. It's tough to know when to stop searching for a new yellow cake recipe.

Question of the Day: How often do you visit the grocery store?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love cornbred. Yellow cake, too. I try to go to the store only once, which this week and last week has been a success.

Randi said...

I made corn muffins too. LOL. Have you tried Nigella's buttermilk cake? Its good and only uses 1 stick of butter.

DancesInGarden said...

I have a corn muffin recipe that I love, from a Susan Powter book. I can email it to you if you are interested.

As for grocery shopping. Well, let us just say that it might be easier if I just start living in the parking lot. Between things that I forgot, things we run out of the day after I shop, items that are devoured as soon as I get them out of the bags, and stuff that I can't buy ahead or it will spoil before I need it.......yeah. LOL!

ThursdayNext said...

There is a Cajun restaurant in the city that serves jalepeno cornbread with honey drizzled on top! It is so good!

I go as often as possible...lol. I love the Super Stop and Shop that just opened here and try to find ANY excuse to go...

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I've never tried cornbread (or corn muffins). How does it differ in taste/texture to regular bread?

I do my 'big' shop fortnightly and my 'middle week' shop for fresh veg, bread and milk in the middle week (funny that!) but I seem to be there every other day to get something I forgot or ran out of or just decided I needed! I am trying to stick to a budget and need to cut the shopping trips otherwise, like you, I come out having spent $30 instead of just picking up a loaf of bread.

Wanda said...

I have all but abandoned the grocery store. My husband likes to grocery shop, so usually on the weekend, when he wants to get some kind of special meats to have, I will send my list along with him. But he is working out of town now, with several weeks between visits home, so I had to do the grocery shopping last week. What a shocker! I swear I got 'nothing' and yet it was well over $100. I'm pretty good at stocking up, making do, and doing without, so it will be at least one more week - maybe longer - until I have to go again....well, except for my Diet Cokes.
We don't have a supermarket in our little country town, so it's an 11 mile trip (one way) to get groceries. Here, we only have 2 little expensive, poorly stocked convenience stores.

Anonymous said...

I like cornbread.I make it to accompany chili on game days. I hate to admit that I am at the grocery store around three times a week. I usually forget dishwashing liquid or napkins or cat food. you know, those things you never think of but can't go without. And I always walk into a grocery store and end up walking out with more than I should -usually fresh produce or cheeses .