Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I really need to work on my waffle presentation



Honey-Bran Waffles
The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup wheat bran
2 tablespoons fine-ground cornmeal (optional) I added this
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, separated
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 ¾ cups buttermilk
¼ cup honey (or maple syrup) I used honey
Pinch cream of tartar

1. Heat the waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, wheat bran, cornmeal (if using), salt and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, butter, then the buttermilk and honey or maple syrup. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well, and whisk very gently until the buttermilk mixture is just incorporated ( a few lumps should remain). Toward the end of mixing, fold the whipped egg whites into the batter.
3. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, spread the appropriate amount of batter onto the waffle iron and cook until golden brown, about 3 ½ minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, serving the waffles immediately or holding them in a 200-degree oven until they are all cooked.
_______________________________

I know this picture isn't very appetizing but trust me, these were good waffles. Although, can you make a bad waffle? I've enjoyed all of the waffle recipes I've tried so far. I like waffle recipes that have a bit of sweetness in the batter so that I don't need to top them with anything. That's one reason my pictures are so boring.

I can't make enough waffles to suit my husband. I make a batch on Saturday mornings (while my husband is hunting) and my son and I eat 1-3 of them between us and then I put the big stack of leftovers in a ziploc bag in the fridge. My husband eats them all later, in only 2 sittings. I know he would like me to have waffles for him all week but that's just not going to happen.

I can't believe Thanksgiving is in just over 2 weeks and I haven't decided which pies I'm going to make yet.

A Blast From The Past: One-Pan Whiskey-Flavored Pork Chops from September 2005. A great recipe that I had completely forgotten about.

Question of the Day: Are you already planning for the holidays or will you wait until the last minute?

5 comments:

Annie said...

Dejavu. I just posted a holiday cookie recipe and have been thinking about holiday recipes for weeks!

Btw, you can't go wrong with pumpkin and apple.

Anonymous said...

I agree - how can waffles be bad? My waffle maker is stuck in CT right now.

Unknown said...

We're already planning. When you have between 20 and 25 people coming for Thanksgiving planning must start early! I'm making blueberry cobbler for dessert...brother's request. We've already made gumbo and put it in the freezer. The assignments will go out soon.

Anonymous said...

There's not much planning, since our menu never varies for the holidays. Maybe a new side dish or dessert is sometimes added. So, most of the planning is just getting the grocery list together, down to the last ingredient, and shopping.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I have this cookbook, and we really liked this recipe too.