Monday, February 12, 2007

Now this is dedication



Sour Cream Scones
Cooking Light Annual Recipes Copyright 2006

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream Oops! I only had the real stuff
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/3 cup dried currants or raisins I used frozen blueberries
cooking spray
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon I omitted this

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk.
3. Combine sour cream, butter and egg white in a small bowl. Add sour cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in currants.
4. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 6 to 12 times with floured hands. (Dough will be crumbly.) Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a 6-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut each circle into 6 wedges; do not separate.
5. Combine 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and cinnamon. Lightly coat top of dough with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 1 dozen Per scone: 175 cal, 4.8 g fat, 3.6 g protein, 30.2 g carbs, 1.4 g fiber, 14 mg chol, 219 mg sodium
____________________________________

Saturday I was so sick, rolling over in bed took more effort than I could muster. By Sunday afternoon I felt better enough to make these scones. Two hours later, I was under the covers with the chills again. Had I known that I would only be feeling good for a brief couple of hours, I probably would have done something else with my time but then you wouldn't be seeing a new post today.

I have no idea if these were good or not - I can't taste anything. The texture seemed good.

I'm still not feeling well so that's all I have to say today.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon! Those scones look scrumptious, by the way.

Unknown said...

Sorry you feel sick...hope you get better soon! Rest and fluids!!! REst, rest, rest. These scones look delicious!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I hope you feel better! I've been sick going on 2 weeks now - my cold turned into a sinus infection and now I'm on antibiotics. I still can't really smell or taste anything, which is a real bummer.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon. The scones sound really good (especially with the real sour cream!)

ThursdayNext said...

Get well soon, Paula! There is so much going around...I had so many students out the past few days and my TA has been out sick for four! Drink lots of water and I swear airborne works for the next time you feel like you may be coming down with something! xoxo

www.epicureanescapades.blogspot.com

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Oh, I hope you're feeling better soon. Quick, run (okay, shuffle) and put a scone in the freezer so you can taste it properly once you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, that looks good! (I swear, they're gonna put that on my tombstone!) LOL

Sorry you're feeling yucky. Hope Nick doesn't get it and you get well really fast.

If I lived closer, I'd bring you some chicken soup while snitching a scone! :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you don't feel well. That nasty bug is going around it seems. Take care of yourself!