Thursday, July 31, 2008

Something different
--Chilled Rice Salad





Chilled Rice Salad
The Red Hat Society Cookbook Copyright 2006

3 ½ cups cooked white rice
1/3 cup finely chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup diced green onions
1/3 cup diced cucumber
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the rice, tomatoes, green onions, and cucumber in a medium serving bowl. Blend the oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper in a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well and pour the dressing over the rice mixture. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Stir before serving.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
_______________________

This seemed like a simple, easy and inexpensive recipe, although the price of rice sure has skyrocketed. I doubled the dressing which was fine when I first served it but for leftovers, it was kind of bland and I added some bottled creamy Caesar dressing and I thought that was even better.

Tonight is grocery night and I haven't even started my list yet. It's time to concentrate on economizing rather than interesting recipes, unfortunately.

Question of the Day: Have you ever eaten a rice salad? I'm can't believe that this is my first but at the moment I can't think of any others that I've eaten.

3 comments:

Swedish Mike said...

Hi there!

Yeah, I quite often make chilled rice salads. I use anything from sliced chicken breasts to canned tuna.

Normally the flavours gets even better if you let it stay in the fridge over night.

Try a tuna/rice salad with a couple of boiled eggs (halved) on top. Yummy...

I think I'll have to make one and blog it over at http://freestylecookery.blogspot.com ;)

// Mike

Anonymous said...

I make one with rice, canned pinto beans (drained), little slivers of ham, thyme and I can't remember what else (haven't made it in a long time). It is delicious. Can't think of any others I've eaten, but that doesn't mean anything. I would enjoy most any rice salads, I think.

Jan

Randi said...

I made one from Amanada Hesser that was good. Yeah, whats up with Rice? I just bought a 2lb bag of basmati at Wal*Mart and it was 3.54, not bad but it cost 7.99 here in Canada. Ridiculous!! Hey, do you get the weekly email newsletter from Taste of Home? They always send out budget friendly ideas.