Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shh! Another recipe that's not from a cookbook
--Lo Mein with Stir-Fry Vegetables



Lo Mein with Stir-Fry Vegetables
Another new addition to the Ugly Binder, from Good Housekeeping Magazine

8 ounce(s) linguine or spaghetti I used Smart Taste spaghetti
2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
1 pound(s) ground chicken I used ground chicken patties, I just broke them up as they cooked
Salt
1 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
2 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve dark-green tops for garnish)
1 package(s) (10-ounce) sliced white mushrooms
1/2 small head napa cabbage, thinly sliced I used regular green cabbage
1 1/2 cup(s) shredded carrots I used thinly sliced carrots
1/4 cup(s) water
1/4 cup(s) teriyaki sauce I was a little short so I added some soy sauce, dry sherry and a touch of sugar
1 tablespoon(s) grated peeled fresh ginger

Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling on high. Add linguine and cook as label directs.
Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high until hot. Add chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink throughout, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to bowl.
To drippings in skillet, add garlic, light parts of green onions, and remaining oil; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add cabbage, carrots, and water; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and cabbage wilts, stirring often.
In cup, stir teriyaki sauce and ginger until combined. Drain linguine well and add with teriyaki mixture and chicken to vegetables in skillet; cook 2 minutes to blend flavors and heat through, gently tossing with tongs. Sprinkle with reserved green onion tops to serve.

I did it a little different. I stir-fried all of the veggies together (I gave the mushrooms a slight head start before I decided to add everything else). After they were stir-fried for a while I added the water and let them cook some more. Then I added back the chicken and added the sauce and let that cook so that the meat and veggies absorbed more flavor. Then I added the spaghetti and let it cook for a few more minutes.
___________________

I know, another non-cookbook recipe from the Cookbook Junkie? Am I slipping off the cookbook wagon? I couldn't help it. I saw this in Goodhousekeeping magazine while I was working out at the gym and I came home and looked up the recipe online. I knew I still had a couple of packages of Purdue ground chicken patties in the deep freeze. I picked them up cheap at some point but I don't find many recipes calling specifically for ground chicken. I thought the ground chicken was an improvement over chicken breast in a recipe like this. The patties aren't as lean as chicken breasts but they're more flavorful. They're made from the darker meat. You can get the leaner ground chicken for this, if you wish.

I had just about everything I needed on hand to make this except the mushrooms (which are in there but they seem to be hiding). I knew I didn't have enough teriyaki sauce (I had about 2 tablespoons) and I didn't have time to look up a teriyaki sauce recipe so I just winged it and added a little soy sauce, a little dry sherry and a sprinkle of sugar. There was already garlic and ginger in the recipe.

I'll definitely make this again. It really hit the spot. I even had some egg rolls on hand that I picked up in Wal-Mart a couple of weeks ago, that were just waiting for my next Asian-type meal. I have to think ahead for egg rolls anymore since the closest store stopped carrying them and I don't care that much for the brands my regular grocery store carries. I should have picked some up in Costco.

My oven element arrived yesterday. Tonight I'll install it and hope that I don't have to worry about my oven for at least 3 years (that's how long the last element lasted).

Question of the Day: What Asian-style dishes do you prepare at home, if any? We can't do Chinese anymore due to my son's peanut allergy so I've been trying a lot more Asian-style dishes than I used to. It used to be too easy to go out and grab Chinese food when I craved it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We make stir-frys here too. I did make orange chicken one time--like from Panda Express or the Chinese place in the Giant store in Dillsburg. It was way to labor intensive--I'd rather buy it from somewhere else than go through that again. Chinese food has to be one of my favorite types of food--and I'm cajun from Louisiana--that is my other favorite. Sheila

alysonlaurel said...

I make this recipe from America's Test Kitchen, called Stir-Fried Chicken with Bok Choy and Crispy Noodle Cake. It's a little fussy and takes up lots of bowls, but is SO delicious. And no peanuts, so that works well for you! Also, I don't use nearly as much oil as it calls for, and I use canola, instead of peanut. When I am out of chicken broth and forget it at the store, I have been known to use water in its place and the dish is still fantastic.

I make other Asian-y stuff, too, but that one's my favorite.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Sheila,

"Giant store in Dillsburg"

Do you live here in Central PA?


Alyson,

That sounds familiar. I must have seen that recipe in one of my ATK books. I'll have to check it out. (And which of their recipes are NOT fussy? LOL)

Anonymous said...

I make orange chicken but I don't fry little chunks of chicken because that takes up way too much time. I pound out boneless, skinless chicken breasts until they are about 1/4 in. thick and then I dip in egg and seasoned flour and fry those. Once they are done i just dip each piece of chicken in the orange sauce and place on a platter with the rice. If we have company I put sliced oranges on the chicken and the extra sauce in a bowl on the table. It is really good and looks beautiful. Paige

EverythingIveGot said...

I've made two of your ground chicken recipes now and have been very happy! This one was a good one and even my husband had thirds (usually not the case with so many veggies). I added those sprout things and used Bragg's Amino Acid Liquid instead of teriaki sauce, just added a little water, the ginger and a small amount of sugar. We loved it- thanks!

Leslie H. said...

I"m making this tonight! I bought some ground chicken at the store, but didn't have a clue what I was going to do it. I "googled' ground chicken recipes and found your site. YAY! Oh, and I also just made some homemade Teriyaki sauce. I'm on a roll! Keep posting please, I'm liking what I'm seeing!

Lindsay T said...

Leslie H. above me just so happens to be my mom! I had to try this after she raved about it. I didn't have ground chicken so I marinated chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and used that instead. I also used frozen peas and carrots instead of fresh carrots and mushrooms. And I used sesame oil instead of vegetable. It turned out excellent!