Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Something healthy for a change




Bulgur Pilaf With Tomato and Zucchini
Good Carb, Better Carb Cookbook Copyright 2004

1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves
2 small zucchini
14 1/2 ounces no-salt-added whole tomatoes , drained and coarsely chopped I used no-salt stewed tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Rinse bulgur thoroughly in colander under cold water removing any debris.Set aside.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.Add onion and garlic.Saute 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
3. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low.cook, covered 15 minutes or until zucchini is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir chicken broth, bulgur, basil and pepper into veggie mixture.Bring to a boil over high heat.Recude heat to low.Cook, covered over low heat 15 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed, stirring occasionally.Remove from heat, let stand covered for 10 minutes.
___________________

I promised some healthier recipes and even though I'm not exactly 100% on board the healthy eating train right now, I did manage to finally make this recipe which I planned to make some time ago but it kept getting pushed off. I'm glad I finally made it since it wasn't too difficult to make and it was actually quite good. It could have used a dash of salt but otherwise I had no problems with this. The bulgur was much tastier than I imagined it would be. It's chewy but in a good way. This could be the first time I've tried bulgur but it won't be the last.

I have to admit that I'm still floundering. I need sleep - uninterrupted sleep. The past couple of weekends I've tried to do most of my cooking for the week because I just don't have the time or energy to do it during the week. Hopefully things will turn around soon.

Question of the Day: Have you tried bulgur? Do you like it?

3 comments:

BETO said...

Paula, great recipe. Simply delicious. Kisses.

Anonymous said...

No, but I want to try it.

Jan

M Smith said...

Yep! I like it. It's nuttier than brown rice, but good. I tend to make a lot of cold salads with it in the summer (like tabbouleh) but I'll sub it for rice, quinoa and other grains (O.K. quinoa isn't a grain, technically, but you get the idea.)