Friday, June 19, 2009

Very much in love with ground chicken



Chicken-Cheese Burgers
From myrecipes.com

1 pound skinned and boned chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 pound skinned and boned chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
I used ground chicken
1 large egg, lightly beaten
10 saltine crackers, finely crushed
3 to 4 green onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 mozzarella cheese slices
8 onion buns, split I used plain buns
Tomato slices I didn't have these
Lemon Mayonnaise
Lettuce leaves I didn't have these

Process chicken in a food processor until consistency of ground beef; spoon into a large bowl.

Add egg and next 6 ingredients to ground chicken in bowl; stir until blended. Shape chicken mixture into 8 patties (about 6 ounces each). Chill 30 minutes or until firm. I made them in the morning and chilled them all day.

Cook chicken patties, in batches, in a lightly greased nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until done. I used my Griddler. Top each patty with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.

Top bottom halves of buns with tomato slices. Spread Lemon Mayonnaise evenly on tomato slices. Top with chicken patties and lettuce, and cover with tops of buns.

Lemon Mayonnaise

1 cup light mayonnaise I used real mayo
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Stir together all ingredients. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
____________________

What is it about ground chicken? It never fails me. These burgers were so good. They had a mild sausage-like flavor. The lemon mayonnaise was very nice but these were versatile enough that you could use whatever condiment you like on these. My husband chose steak sauce which wouldn't be on my list but whatever floats your boat.

I will add this recipe to my list of ground chicken recipes. There's not a bad recipe in the bunch.

I'm tired and overwhelmed getting ready for our cookout next week. The weather forecast is scattered thunderstorms so far. I know that means nothing right now - they can't get the weather forecast right on the daily forecast here nevermind the 10day - but I worry. All I want is a nice day, mostly for my son who doesn't know it but some of his school friends are coming.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite cookout food?

4 comments:

Noel said...

Right now I am on a steak kick. My goal this summer is to make the perfect grilled steak. I'm almost there... :)

Lynda S said...

Burnt hot dogs!

MommyProf said...

Fruit - like a big hollowed-out watermelon bowl of fruit. We tried grilling some fruit last time we went camping, and that was pretty terrific, too. We did peaches and plums, and I am eager to try pineapple.

Mrs. L said...

S'mores. Trendy I know, but I just love them.

I've never "ground" chicken in my food processor before. Wonder if that really works well and gets it like the ground chicken you buy at the market?