Thursday, October 29, 2009
One last recipe for the week
Ham and Rice Casserole
The about.com guide to Southern Cooking Copyright 2006
2½ cups hot cooked rice
2½ cups ham, diced
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, cooked and drained I picked a corn, green bean, carrot and pea blend
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup soft bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms, optional I didn't add these
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine rice, ham, and cooked mixed vegetables.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. If you are using the sliced mushrooms, add and sauté until tender and golden brown. Blend in flour; stirring until hot and bubbly. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook the sauce, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened. Stir in cheese until melted, and then add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir the sauce into the rice, ham and vegetable mixture. Transfer to a 2 ½ -quart baking dish. Toss bread crumbs with the melted butter; sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If the breadcrumbs aren’t as brown as you like, turn on the broiler for about 2 minutes, just until browned.
I had a few spare minutes last night so here's one last recipe for the week. I have no idea what we're having for dinner tonight. I had something planned that I never got around to making (or even thawing the chicken) so I'm going to have to wing it tonight. It's Trick or Treat night so I want something fast and easy to clean up. McDonald's is sounding awfully tempting.
I should have saved this for tonight. I made it ahead of time and we just heated it up in the microwave. It was a very tasty casserole. I like that it has the veggies right in there. The little one liked it but the older one is just not that fond of cheese. He picked out some of the ham and ate it.
I'm tired. I will be happy when this week is over. To be honest, I will be happier when this year is over. The stress of having two kids, a flu going around and only so many vacation days left for the year is getting to me.
Question of the Day: Which mixed vegetable blend do you like best?