Monday, November 09, 2009

Quick preparation, simple and delicious


Golden Lemon Bread Recipe
The Taste of Home Cookbook Cooks Who Care Edition Copyright 2009

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk

GLAZE:
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk.

Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place pan on a wire rack.

Combine the glaze ingredients; immediately pour over warm bread. Cool completely before removing from pan. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).

Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 165 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
__________________

This was one of those simple yet surprisingly good recipes. Glazing the cake warm makes it so good. It's a mild lemon flavor yet very pleasing. I would definitely make this again. I didn't even use a mixer, just a wooden spoon. I had it in the oven in just a few minutes.

My bread did get a little bit more brown than the bread pictured in the cookbook but that is quite possibly just because I have an old, decrepit oven. Next time I might cut the temperature down to 325 degrees F.

I can't say much more about this. Mondays are definitely not my best day. At least I can start getting to bed earlier on Sunday nights now that Mad Men has wrapped up its season.

Question of the Day: I'm too tired to think of one today.

1 comment:

Pilar said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I'm always on the hunt for citrus recipes, especially breads and cakes. This is so much easier than my go-to lemon-lime pound cake. Yum! Thanks for the ramen answer, too. True unsung hero on weeknights here, too!