Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Another ground chicken burger from Rachael Ray



BBQ Chicken Burgers Topped with Honey Slaw
Rachael Ray's Book of 10 Copyright 2009

2 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces
1 medium red onion, 1/2 finely chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1 tablespoon hot sauce, eyeball it
2 pounds ground chicken
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick brand) a palm full
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons honey, eyeball it
1 lemon, juiced
3 rounded tablespoons sweet pickle relish
4 cups shredded cabbage mix
Salt and pepper
8 cornmeal Keiser rolls, split

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add chopped onions, garlic and tomato paste and sweat them for 5 minutes to soften and sweeten. Sprinkle in sugar and remove from heat. Cool in a bowl, 5 minutes. Add tomato paste mixture, Worcestershire, hot sauce to bowl and combine. Add chicken to the bowl then grill seasoning and combine the burgers well to evenly distribute the flavors and form 4 patties. Wash up.

Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties 6 minutes on each side.

Combine the honey, lemon juice, and remaining extra-virgin olive oil in a bowl. Add relish, cabbage mix and sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Toss the slaw to coat and reserve.

Serve burgers on bun bottoms topped with slaw and bun tops.
___________________________

While this didn't wow me as much as some of the other burger recipes I've tried from Rachael Ray, it was not a disappointment. Some of her other burgers just happened to blow me away. While I wasn't crazy about the slaw on it's own, I enjoyed it as the burger topping. It was a bit heavy on that distinctive sweet relish taste otherwise and I prefer vinegar to lemon juice in a slaw. I added a bit of sugar to it. My husband ate a bowl of it on its own.

The burgers were highly seasoned. They were nicely balanced with the bun and slaw but if you were skipping the bun, you might want to lessen the amount of grill seasoning because it makes them especially salty and peppery. I liked it but some people might not. You definitely don't need any other condiments on this burger.

As usual, I could easily find this RR recipe online but the proportions weren't the same. Her book recipes rarely match her online recipes exactly (and these recipes are from either Food Network or her official site). It makes me wonder which versions I should be following.

I will add these to my list of ground chicken recipes. RR is one of my best sources of ground chicken recipes.

I started getting sick on Sunday and fought it with about $20 worth of cold-preventatives - Zinc, Vitamin C (not at the same time) and Sambucol. I felt back to normal yesterday. Today I woke up feeling like I got hit with a truck. Oh well, I really think it would have been something much worse if not for that stuff.

Question of the Day: How do you treat a cold?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

This burger looks yummy!

I hate taking medication but when I do I drink lots of Theraflu.

Chef Aimee said...

Drink lots of water first and foremost!