Tuesday, January 12, 2010

From the ashes


Butter Horns
(from the Ugly Binder, from a Christmas cookie recipe pull-out section of a magazine)

2 sticks (1 cup) regular butter or margarine (not spread) at room temperature
¾ cup sour cream, at room temperature
Yolk from 1 large egg
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour

Filling:
¾ cups granulated sugar
¾ cups walnuts or hazelnuts, coarsely chopped I omitted these
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Beat butter, sour cream and egg yolk in a large bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
2. With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in flour until blended. Divide dough into fourths. Wrap each separately and chill 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
3. Filling: Process sugar, nuts and cinnamon in food processor or blended until nuts are finely chopped.
4. Heat oven o 375 degrees F. Have ungreased cookie sheet(s) ready.
5. In lightly floured surface, roll out one piece of dough at a time (keep remaining dough refrigerated) to an 11-inch circle. Using a pizza wheel or small knife, cut circle into ...

The rest of the recipe is missing. Cut circle into 16 wedges. Sprinkle with filling. Roll each wedge up and place on cookies sheet. Bake until golden, about 18 minutes??
________________________________

I haven't had too many big disasters in the kitchen but once I did start a small fire. Of course, it had to happen when I was sharing a house with a friend and I set her dishtowel on fire. Thank God I didn't burn the house down! If it weren't for the smoke detector, I make have. (Have you checked your smoke detectors lately?)

I was making these cookies at the time and the bottom of this recipe got singed off so the cooking time may not be accurate. I think I looked at a rugelach recipe and decided on 18-20 minutes.

I used to make these with hazelnuts but I don't use nuts in my cooking anymore (due to son's peanut allergy) so I tried this recipe without the nuts and it was pretty good, not as good as with nuts, but still very good. Next time I might sprinkle some of the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
I think these add visual interest to a cookie tray and they're not too sweet. There is no sugar in the dough - the sweetness comes from the filling. They aren't very difficult to make. The dough is easily managed. I definitely suggest using a good pizza cutter to cut the dough.

Question of the Day: What was your biggest kitchen disaster?

5 comments:

M Smith said...

I was 9 years old, woke up early and decided to surprise my family by making muffins for breakfast. I followed the recipe exactly and fed them to my appreciative family. They took a bit of the muffins, made a weird face and politely spit it into their napkins and told me that they were very good. (They didn't want to discourage me, I guess.)

My mother went with me to the kitchen and asked if i would show her how I made the muffins and that is when I learned that there is a big difference between Baking POWEDER and Baking SODA.

Sheila said...

I was 10 or 11 years old when I had my disaster. I came home from school and no adults were home so I decided to make supper. I made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. The only problem was the chicken was a hen and it was so tough you couldn't chew it at all. I had no idea there was such a thing as a hen and it had to be cooked different. My dad ate it and smiled and told me what a good job I did. That was truly a disaster as there were 8 kids in our family and daddy worked 3 jobs to feed and take care of us!

Janet said...

I was at a rental house with friends and also set something on fire. It was a "professional" oven which I was not used to and I tried to broil some garlic bread but I instead set it on fire. We tried shutting the oven and hoping it would go out, but since it was a convection oven, it seemed like air kept getting and keeping the fire going. Finally we found a fire extinguisher and put out the flames. Except, most of our dinner was on the top of the range and in putting out the fire we also sprayed our food. Sigh. It was at least a very memorable weekend.

Ash said...

Hey that was good.... Why don't u send it across to Malars Kitchen Mishaps - Event..... Link to it is given below...

http://www.kitchentantra.com/2009/12/kitchen-mishaps-event-announcement.html

Send it across... Let the world read yours.... :-)

Ash...(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Mrs. L said...

Luckily I have yet to set anything on fire. Though I have burned the heck out of myself by either picking up a pan with bare hands forgetting I had just pulled it out of the oven or by not taking proper precautions while chopping up some habaneros!