Sunday, March 11, 2012

More fun with ground chicken: Chicken Cakes with Teriyaki Sauce

Chicken Cakes with Teriyaki Sauce
Around The World in 450 Recipes Copyright 2005, 2006

For the chicken cakes:
1 pound ground chicken
1 large egg
¼ cup grated onion
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons soy sauce
Cornstarch, for coating
½ bunch scallion, finely shredded, to garnish
1 tablespoon oil

For the teriyaki sauce:
2 tablespoons sake or dry white wine
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons soy sauce

1. Mix the ground chicken with the egg, grated onion, sugar and soy sauce until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and well bound. This process takes about 3 minutes, until the mixture is quite sticky, which makes for good texture. (I didn't quite go 3 minutes but I did get it pretty sticky.) Shape the mixture into 12 small, flat, round cakes and dust them lightly all over with cornstarch. (The mixture is very sticky. I dropped it into the cornstarch and then I was able to pat it out, once it was covered in cornstarch.)
2. Soak the scallions in cold water for 5 minutes and drain well.  (They used the white part and the water curls it - I just sliced the green part and skipped the soak.)
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Place the chicken cakes in a single layer, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn the cakes and cook for 3 minutes longer.  (Mine took much longer - make sure they are cooked before adding the glaze.)
4. Mix the ingredients for the sauce and pour it into the pan. Turn the chicken cakes occasionally until they are evenly glazed. Move or gently shake the pan constantly to prevent the sauce from burning.
5. Arrange the chicken cakes on a plate and top with the scallions. Serve immediately.
____________________________________

I was perusing through this cookbook on Saturday night and as soon as I saw this recipe I knew I was going to make it the next day. Honestly, I never go wrong with ground chicken! It's like magic LOL.

It was a bit tricky - the mixture was super sticky. I think I set a record for washing my hands while making a recipe with this one. The cornstarch is key here. You won't get them shaped without it. You could just drop the mixture in the pan and smoosh it down I guess if you don't have cornstarch but I don't know if they would brown as well.

This is a Japanese recipe. These little chicken meatballs in a soy glaze are called Tsukune.

I'd say this is one of my favorite ground chicken recipes but they are all my favorites! Check out all of my ground chicken recipes.

26 comments:

Alisha said...

This looks so delicious. I'm going to have to try this this week! I love recipes that have mostly ingredients I have in the house.

Anonymous said...

Wow... this dish seems so delicious... I'll prepare it... have a good day ^_^

Annie at Haphazard Homestead said...

They look yummy!

Mrs. L said...

Always trying to find ways to use up some ground chicken, this sounds perfect!

Mary C. said...

Long time reader, infrequent commenter ... I think I'll try this recipe this weekend.

I have to admit, I'm almost OCD about not getting my fingers/hands sticky, or getting food under my fingernails (and they're NOT manicured nails) -- I use non-latex medical gloves from the pharmacy dept. A box of 50 is a little less than $5. Might want to give it a try. The biggest bonus is that it's quick (read that "immediate") clean-up and quick to remove if the phone rings or another distraction comes up!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

That's a good idea Mary. I'm going to look for a box of those gloves. Thanks.

janecappy@yahoo.com said...

this was a great recipe, I loved it, its a great way to fix ground chicken which is not great most ways.

thanks,
jane

Anonymous said...

These were delicious....I added about 1/4 cup of almond flour to help bind the ingredients. Definitely will make them again!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

I'm loving all the flavors in here! And it's so great that it involves chicken. I'm trying to stay away from red meat!

Anonymous said...

I made this along with fried rice tonite. It was awesome! Both of my daughters (4 and 1) LOVED it. I will definately be making it again. The only thing I did different than the recipe was instead of cornstarch, I used panko crumbs.
-Tara

Cippy girls said...

These were delicious! Worth the mess to make!

Anonymous said...

I use a lot of ground chicken, meatloaf, meatballs etc, but this recipe is the yumiest!

Anonymous said...

Very good recipe. I added minced garlic and ginger and some Hoisin sauce, plus some panko flakes to bind it together. I thickened the sauce with a little cornstarch. Served with fried rice and shrimp rangoon dumplings. Yum. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering if anyone has frozen these ? Maybe I should cook to just before adding the glaze step, freeze, then add glaze when reheating ?

Anonymous said...

Absolutely awesome!!! Made it once, lost the recipe... Spent an hour to find it again :-) Very tender, light, and juicy with slight Asian taste. Going to try to helthyfy it this time :-)

Unknown said...

This is definitely gonna show up in my lunch rotation.

Unknown said...

I made these last night and they were nice; I had to add a bit of flour to help bind a little more. I'm influenced by a different palate (from the Caribbean), so the next time I make this, I will put in a bit more spicy seasoning. I shared this with a friend, it's a really nice dish.

cody said...

Thanks for the quick, easy and DELICIOUS recipe!mere blanc vonnas

Unknown said...

I made these today and they were even better than I thought they would be! Wow!
Thank you for our new favorite recipe! :-)

Allie M. said...

I've tried this a few times and it's delicious every time. Great recipe!

Gigglingtoes said...

This was so amazing!!!!!!! How did I live w out it?????

Sarah Michelle said...

why you left working on this blog ? anybody here ?

Unknown said...

Very messy but very delicious! Thanks for sharing! Love using ground chicken. Will make again!

Ice Maker Reviews said...

These were delicious....I added about 1/4 cup of almond flour to help bind the ingredients. Definitely will make them again!

Jess said...

I usually add white rice to my meatballs and thought this would taste great like that and it did!!! Thank you so much for this easy, delicious recipe!! Try adding the rice, makes for a fun twist and tastes like you're eating a teriyaki chicken bowl but it's a patty!! Thank you again for sharing!

Anonymous said...

No need for the cornstarch, they stay together quite nice without it, very similar to the chicken patties I make :-)

As for the sauce, I use coconut amino's teriaki sauce, just made it a little faster and easier..
Very good recipe though..