Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Thank you, Barbara




Barbara’s Pork Chop Dinner
Favorite Brand Name Slow Cooker, Casseroles and More Copyright 2002

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 bone-on pork loin chops I had 4 boneless loin chops
1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted cans have been downsized to 10.5 ounces
1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms, drained and chopped
¼ cup dijon mustard
¼ cup chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
¼ teaspoon black pepper
6 red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into thin slices
1 onion, slices
chopped fresh parsley

Heat butter and oil in large skillet. Brown pork chops on both sides. Set aside.

Combine soup, mushrooms, mustard, chicken broth, garlic, salt, basil and pepper in slow cooker. Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat. Place pork chops on top of potato mixture. Cover and cook on low, 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours. Sprinkle with parsley.

Makes 6 servings.

Another 'favorite brand name' recipe but there was nothing close to a brand name mentioned in this recipe. Maybe a relative of Barbara worked for the publisher.

I'm always game to try something new with my Costco pork loin. I haven't had much success slow cooking it but this turned out well. The pork wasn't stringy at all. I know some people would rather stick a hot poker in their eye than cook with a 'cream of' anything soup but as you may have noticed, I don't claim to be a gourmet. I like the creaminess and flavor the soup provided. The sauce was delicious. As if my word wasn't good enough, I did a quick Google of "Barbara's Pork Chop Dinner" and there were 333 hits! This is a popular recipe. Barbara must be very proud.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am cooking this meal as we speak (well type). I am so sick of the same old Pork Chops. I hope this will be a nice twist!