Thursday, September 22, 2005

Wimpies, Barbecue, Sloppy Joes, etc.




Barbecue
Derry Street United Methodist Church 100th Anniversary Cookbook Copyright 1987

1 lb. hamburger
chopped onion to taste

Sauce:
1 tsp. mustard
½ c. ketchup
1 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger and onion in frying pan. Combine all sauce ingredients and pour over fried hamburger. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Growing up we called these sandwiches wimpies. In the area I live now, they're known as barbecue. There are probably several other regional names but I think, universally, everyone knows what a sloppy joe is.

I usually make these freestyle but it's been hit or miss. I pulled out a local fundraiser cookbook to whip these up for dinner. The local fundraiser cookbooks are great for finding regional recipes (and regional interrpretations of recipes). These sandwiches are bit sweeter and less tomato-y than I grew up with but that's the way I like them now. They're best on soft white rolls but I used soft whole wheat kaiser rolls since I rarely buy white bread products anymore.

No comments: