Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My worst picture ever
--Quick Baked Chicken



Quick Baked Chicken
Greatest Ever Potato Copyright 2002

1 lb. 2 oz. ground chicken
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 carrots, chopped finely
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 ¼ cups chicken bouillon
Pinch of fresh thyme I left this out
Generous 3 ½ cups mashed potatoes, creamed with butter and milk and well seasoned
¾ cup grated semihard white cheese
Salt and pepper


1. Brown the ground chicken, onion, and carrots in a nonstick pan for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes more.
3. Gradually blend in the tomato paste and chicken bouillon, then simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add a pinch of fresh thyme.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a casserole and let cool.
5. Spoon the mashed potato over the chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in preheated oven, 400 degrees, for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden, then serve, straight from the casserole.
_____________

Yeah, yeah the picture is horrible (I purposely chose one that was dark!). No comments from the peanut gallery. Trust me, it was tasty. More importantly, I had everything in the house to make this. It's basically Shepherd's Pie, although I think Shepherd's Pie is with lamb and Cottage Pie is with ground beef. I'm not sure what you would call it with ground chicken. Apparently the authors of this cookbook didn't know either - Quick Baked Chicken is a really bad name for this recipe if you ask me.

Unfortunately the guys don't enjoy mashed potatoes as much as I do so I don't think it thrilled them although there were no complaints. I don't understand not liking mashed potatoes.

Question of the Day: Do you like mashed potatoes?

28 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

I love mashed potatoes so much I can write an ode to them...hmmm, that is an idea! :)

Anonymous said...

I love them--especially lumpy homemade ones. I like them plain or with add ins like green onions, bacon bits and cheese. I think they are one of the best comfort foods ever. Sheila

Heather said...

I do love mashed potatoes and don't understand anyone disliking them.

Unknown said...

Not big on them though I did make some good ones for Father's day once.

Anonymous said...

Mashed potatoes = Food of the Gods!

Jan

Jennifer said...

I do, and I make them homemade. I'm lazy though, and leave the skins on. The other thing I do is add in cauliflower (a couple of cups of frozen) when the potatoes are boiling. Once mashed, you would never guess there is cauliflower in them and it's a little healthier and lower in calories.

Par said...

No I don't like mash potatoes but almost everyone I know loves them.

Anonymous said...

I do love taters, yes I do. Mashed, or fried or even stewed (?)

Doesn't quite rhyme, but any way you cut it, I heart them.

Anonymous said...

Non liking mashed potatoes? The horror! Potatoes in any form work for me.

Jackie said...

I LOVE mashed potatoes. I just found your blog..... your pics are gorgeous. Your blog is addicting!

Jessie Weaver said...

There are people who don't like mashed potatoes? Are you kidding? YUM.

Amy said...

I loves me some mashed taters! My silly children don't care much fir them which has always puzzled me.
O.o Oh well-more for me!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of mashes potatoes, but my bf is! I decided to try this, since I was short on time. I only has instant mashed potatoes..but buttered and milked them to death, and they were pretty good on top. Also used ketchup instead of paste. Gave it a nice zing! No carrots either...extra onion and some baby corn nibblets instead. Good, fast and cheap recipe.

Anonymous said...

I love mashed potatoes, and this recipe looks like the ultimate comfort food, altho I think it could be a bit bland so might season up the meat a bit. Making tonight for supper!

Unknown said...

I love mashed potatoes! It's like a comfort food to me.

Linda Clement said...

I only like mashed potatoes if they're real: unpeeled, not overcooked, mashed with something flavourful --sour cream or yogurt, chicken stock, butter, whatever.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for something to do with ground chicken and found this. It came out deliciously! Thanks for posting it!

w beagrie said...

Mashed or whiped potatoes excellent especially when mashed with real cream and butter.
A portion of nice home made gravy even makes them better.
Wayne

Judy Bailey Sabari said...

i love mashed potatoes with butter and salt. period.

i tried this recipe for quick baked chicken and my ever doubtful spouse was reluctant to try it at first. but he has since been converted. hurray. it was delicious. the only change i ade was instead of tomato paste, i used roasted red pepper spread.

Krista said...

Just made the Quick Baked chicken for supper and it was a big hit. My Husband had seconds. Easy and quick to make. I added extra veggies and garlic to the onion and chicken mixture. Will definitely make this again.

Aerobixqueen said...

Delicious! I just made this for the family. My four year old told me it was "Ten times delicious!" I added green peppers as I was out of carrots. Thank you!

Jolene said...

I just made this for my one year old and we both love! Super tasty and makes a good soft food for young toddlers with protein, dairy, vegetables, and a starch. I used a cup of petite diced tomatoes instead of tomato past and cooked it an extra 5 minutes.

Mama4Life said...

I am a mashed potato lover. I make them homemade and they are fantastic. My kids do not like them...don't get it at all.

all.things.fadra said...

Wow. I was in a pinch to make a father's day dinner with what I had in the house and this was AWESOME!! I had no tomato paste so I cut the chicken broth to 1 cup and added 1/4 cup of tomato sauce. I also added some sweet basil and topped with some parmesano reggiano. SO GOOD!!!

Unknown said...

I've always loved mashed potatoes... when I was pregnant I used to get up during the night and go down to make a pot. We have a long history, one that comforts me in many ways.

Unknown said...

I made this tonight, skipped carrots (allergy) and added peas instead. Also skipped the tomato paste as I don't have any.... Was pretty awesome! I needed a meal that used up my frozen ground chicken and could be eaten by a kid who recently had his tonsils out, this was perfect!

KH said...

Very good! Added cumin, paprika, turmeric, garlic salt to ground chicken. Used instant garlic cheese mashed potatoes. My girls & hubby loved it!!!

Aishah Persaud said...

I've been making this recipe since 2012. I love it. Thank you so much for sharing. I haven't made it in a long time but I'm goin to try it with my kids (now 4 and almost 7). I hope it goes over well!