Wednesday, August 20, 2008
My worst picture ever
--Quick Baked Chicken
Quick Baked Chicken
Greatest Ever Potato Copyright 2002
1 lb. 2 oz. ground chicken
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 carrots, chopped finely
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 ¼ cups chicken bouillon
Pinch of fresh thyme I left this out
Generous 3 ½ cups mashed potatoes, creamed with butter and milk and well seasoned
¾ cup grated semihard white cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Brown the ground chicken, onion, and carrots in a nonstick pan for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Sprinkle the chicken with the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes more.
3. Gradually blend in the tomato paste and chicken bouillon, then simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add a pinch of fresh thyme.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and vegetable mixture to a casserole and let cool.
5. Spoon the mashed potato over the chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in preheated oven, 400 degrees, for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden, then serve, straight from the casserole.
Yeah, yeah the picture is horrible (I purposely chose one that was dark!). No comments from the peanut gallery. Trust me, it was tasty. More importantly, I had everything in the house to make this. It's basically Shepherd's Pie, although I think Shepherd's Pie is with lamb and Cottage Pie is with ground beef. I'm not sure what you would call it with ground chicken. Apparently the authors of this cookbook didn't know either - Quick Baked Chicken is a really bad name for this recipe if you ask me.
Unfortunately the guys don't enjoy mashed potatoes as much as I do so I don't think it thrilled them although there were no complaints. I don't understand not liking mashed potatoes.
Question of the Day: Do you like mashed potatoes?