Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A double whammy


Sloppy Hot Wing Joes
Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book Copyright 2008

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken
2 carrots, peeled and chopped or grated
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 to 1/3 cup hot sauce I used Crystal
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup chicken stock
8 good quality burger rolls, split and toasted
1 cup blue cheese crumbles
2 large dill pickles, chopped

Heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and cook for 5-6 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the carrots, celery, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes more. Combine the vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, tomato sauce, and stock in a mixing cup and pour over the contents of the pan. Mix thoroughly, and simmer for a few minutes more.

Split the rolls and toast under the broiler or in a toaster oven. Pile the sloppy Buffalo-style filling onto buns and top with blue cheese crumbles and chopped pickles.
___________________

I can't seem to go wrong with any Rachael Ray recipes and I just can't seem to go wrong when it comes to ground chicken recipes either . I love all my ground chicken recipes.

This recipe was excellent - definitely something I will make again. I like that it has a good amount of vegetables right in there. I love blue cheese and pickles but they were just an added bonus to me. The meat is good enough on it's own without any toppings.

I chopped the vegetables rather finely in my mini-chopper the night before I made this so putting this together after work was a breeze. I only wish that I had purchased better buns but I forgot these were on the menu when I was picking out bread for the week.

I halved the recipe you see here and it was plenty for my husband and I (and he eats about enough for 2-3 people). My son wanted dinosaur chicken nuggets. He didn't ask for the nuggets because he didn't think he would like this - the nuggets were a new item in the house and he was excited about them. They were all-natural and he ate five of them so I don't feel too badly about letting him have them. At least it wasn't SpaghettiOs.

I wish I had made the entire recipe so I had a batch to freeze. I'm doing that more often these days and it's great to have a few things in the freezer ready to go. RR's recipes seem to be good for this - she can't seem to make anything with less than 2 pounds of meat - but thankfully so far every recipe I've tried of hers is something I wouldn't mind eating again.

(Check out all of my ground chicken recipes here.)

Question of the Day: Do you like blue cheese? pickles?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love blue cheese in any form. Pickles - Not a must-have for me, but I like them at certain times. Can't be too sour, though.

Jan

Jubi said...

Pickles yes, blue cheese no.

Annie Jones said...

Can't wait to try these! I like bleu cheese and pickles both. My hubby would have to have the cheese left out of his.

Rebecca (AKA - Rebel In Ontario) said...

Blue cheese...in some things and pickles all the time!

Claire said...

blue cheese...no! pickles...yep!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh these sound terrific! Love the idea of making these flavors into a sloppy joe!

Sara said...

i made a similar rachel ray recipe a few months ago - a buffalo chicken chili. it was pretty good, but this sounds better.
i love pickles! i could eat them every day. blue cheese i like in certain situations.

Wanda said...

I LOVE bleu cheese! Bleu cheese dressing is my salad dressing of choice. As for pickles, not especially. Well, I do like them in tuna salad, on hamburgers and in cheese sandwiches, but just eating a pickle is not something I do.

Ann said...

Wow this looks good. I will hve to try this. I am going to follow your blog.

Anonymous said...

If it doesn't use Frank's Hot Sauce, it is not "Buffalo Wings." It may be chicken, it may b e wings, but it is not not not Buffalo style.

Clare Enns said...

I mixed this up a bit. Instead of tomato sauce I used Mango Salsa. And instead of hot sauce I used Taco Sauce. I also added a can of mixed beans and 1/2 green pepper and 1/2 red pepper. I then added a little corn starch to thicken the whole thing up. It was a total hit.