Monday, May 04, 2009

Muffins from the Deen Bros.


Peaches-and-Cream Muffins
The Deen Bros. Y’All Come Eat Copyright 2008

Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted I used salted
1 cup sour cream I used lite sour cream
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (15-ounce) can sliced peaches, drained and chopped into ¼-inch pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, butter, sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Gently fold in the peaches.
3. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pans for 10 minutes. Serve immediately or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
_____________________

I'm glad to see that the Deen brothers have been able to parlay their mother's successful career into a profitable career of their own. From what I understand of their history, her boys were a huge part in her restaurant success so I think they've earned it. I prefer their cookbooks over Paula's although I honestly haven't seen any of Paula's besides her first few which were pretty dull stylistically speaking.

I believe this is just a variation of one of Paula's recipes. I've seen a basic muffin recipe attributed to her made from the self-rising flour, butter and sour cream. I had some trouble but I don't think you can blame the Deen Bros. I used a silicone muffin pan which definitely made it easier to remove these from the pan but I didn't get enough browning after 35 minutes. Was it the pan? I don't have much experience with silicone bakeware. I should have cooked them a bit longer I think but it was already over 35 minutes when I took these out. Also, I had several other things cooking in the oven at the same time which might have affected the baking of these muffins.

I love biscuits so I thought these were good with their biscuit-like texture but were they worth two sticks of butter? I'm not so sure. That doesn't mean they weren't good but two sticks of butter AND sour cream?? (I used lite sour cream but, come on, that really didn't lighten this recipe very much). A recipe with that much fat should knock my socks off and I don't think I can say that about this recipe. Very good, yes. Fantastic, no.

Question of the Day: What do you think of the Deen Bros?

3 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I like the Deen Brothers and Paula, too. They aren't my favorites, but I enjoy their cookbooks.

I tried a peaches and cream muffin recipe some time ago that I liked a lot. I'm almost positive it came from Taste of Home or one of its affiliated magazines.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...maybe it was the pan b/c typical muffin pans, I seem to think, pull more heat in b/c they are metal (i.e. conductors). This looks really good.

I've never tried any of their recipes, but if they are like their mama's then I'm sure they're great...of course, they'll all have a stick of butter in them! :-)

Jennifer said...

I like them, but I don't think I would make this recipe as I don't really like self rising flour.