Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More of the delicious same



Italian Sweet Chicken Sausage Patties with Peppers and Onions on Garlic Buttered Rolls
Rachel Ray 365: No Repeats Copyright 2005

1 1/3 pounds ground chickenI used 1 pound
1 tablespoon grill seasoning (such as McCormick’s Steak Seasoning)
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
4 garlic cloves, minced divided
¼ cup tender sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
10 to 12 fresh basil leaves, shredded
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus some to drizzle
2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 crusty Kaiser rolls, split
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 deli-cut slices of Provolone cheese

Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

(This paragraph is paraphrased). Place the chicken in a medium bowl with the grill seasoning, fennel seed, half of the garlic, the sun-dried tomatoes and the basil. Drizzle with olive oil. I left this out - the patties don't need added oil.

Mix together and form 4 patties, ¾ inch thick.Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side in the preheated skillet.

I used my Cuisinart Griddler. I cooked the pepper and onion mixture ahead of time. I didn't toast my buns or use the garlic butter.

Heat a second skillet over medium-high heat and preheat the broiler, placing the top rack at least 6 inches from the heat.

To the hot skillet, add the 2 tablespoons of oil olive, then the peppers and onions. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook until just tender, about 6 to 7 minutes. I added a splash of hoagie spread (chopped cherry peppers).

Toast the rolls on a broiler pan under the hot broiler. Place the remaining garlic and the butter in a small dish and microwave for 15 seconds on High to melt the butter. Brush the toasted roll tops with garlic butter and reserve. Leave the bun bottoms on the broiler pan.

Place the patties on the bun bottoms, then top with the peppers and onions and sliced Provolone cheese. Place the chicken sandwiches under the broiler again for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt the cheese. Set the butter tops in place and serve.
__________________________

After making the Cacciatore Burgers last week, I saw this similar recipe further along in the same cookbook. Normally I would wait at least a week to make such a similar recipe (I like variety) but I still had peppers leftover from last week and, by some miracle, the basil plant I bought in the produce section for the Cacciatore Burgers is still alive. Those plants usually start dying the minute I get them home. I had the provolone. I even had the grill seasoning which my husband put in my Christmas stocking last year. All I had to buy were the rolls which I picked up in Costco.

Even though these were great too, I enjoyed the Cacciatore Burgers more but I had spoiled my appetite yesterday and wasn't very hungry at dinnertime. So, I really don't want to say that the Cacciatore Burgers were better. The Cacciatore Burgers did have more of a kick from the crushed red pepper but I loved the fennel in this recipe. You can play with the two recipes and come up with what you like best or use what you have on hand.

I'm sure these were just as good because once again, there were no leftovers. My husband ate three of these! Does he have to go to the gym every night? Noooooooooooo.

I will add this to my ground chicken recipe list.

Question of the Day: Do you have 'grill seasoning' in your spice collection?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have it because my husband likes it, I personally don't care for it. The garlic salt is too strong and crunchy.