Friday, September 11, 2009

Easy and delicious



Chicken and Basil Calzones
Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2009 Copyright 2008

Cooking spray
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground chicken breast
3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil I used fresh and dried since I didn't have enough fresh
1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425°.

2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add garlic and chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Stir in pizza sauce and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in basil. Let stand 10 minutes.

3. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; cut dough into quarters. Pat each portion into an 8 x 6–inch rectangle. Divide chicken mixture evenly among rectangles; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Working with one rectangle at a time, fold dough in half over filling, pinching edges to seal. Repeat procedure with remaining rectangles. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden.

Nutritional Information Calories:459 (14% from fat) Fat:7.1g (sat 1.8g,mono 1g,poly 0.4g)
Protein:39.1g Carbohydrate:56.4g Fiber:3g Cholesterol:74mg Iron:3.7mg Sodium:919mg
Calcium:111mg

________________________

I wasn't all that thrilled with the 2009 Cooking Light Annual when I first looked through it but I've found a couple of winners in it so far. This recipe elicited some positive comments from my husband. He seems to have an affinity for recipes using canned pizza dough. I loved it too and it was very easy. I made the chicken mixture ahead of time so it just took a few minutes to get these in the oven and they were done after less than 15 minutes in the oven.

I really need to use this general idea more often. Back in 2007 I made Chicken Olive Calzones and I wrote 'These calzones were so easy to prepare and I'm already imagining all of the variations I'll be making in the future.' But then I forgot about them. I won't forget this time.

I'll add this recipe to my Ground Chicken Recipe Round-Up.

Question of the Day: What other fillings do you think would be good for these?

6 comments:

Annie Jones said...

Just about anything. You can't really go wrong with stuffed bread. :)

KatiePerk said...

I showed this recipe to my husband and he said yes please!! looks delicious.

La Pixie said...

I would use ground beef, I think. and probably taco spices and cheese. (Ive never tried ground chicken. the thought scares me a little.)

M Smith said...

Sauteed peppers, onions and mushroom with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese!

Ground pork with scallions, garlic, ginger and hoisin sauce!

Taco seasoned [insert protein here] and cheddar!

Cherry pie filling! (oops! That's for dessert...)

Tammy D. said...

I have never tried ground chicken. I use ground turkey instead of beef for everything. I am trying out a lb. of chicken this time to see if there is a big difference in flavor. All of your recipies make my tummy growl! Can't wait to try them! For the calzone I would use cheddar and mozz., or colby jack and sausage, pizza sauce, g.peppers, onion, butter the top of the calzones when brown.

Anonymous said...

Tuna salad and Cheddar, corned beef and sauerkraut, chicken and broccoli (recipes gave me these.ideas)