Thursday, September 10, 2009

Our roots are showing again


Kielbasi and Cabbage
Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook Copyright 2008

1 1/2 lb head green cabbage, shredded I used about 1/2 head
2 medium onions, chopped I used about 1 onion
3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed I didn't peel them
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 lbs. Polish kielbasa sausage, cut into 3-inch long links I used 1 pound of lite kielbasa
28 ounce can cut-up tomatoes with juice
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
¾ tsp. caraway seeds
½ tsp. pepper
¾ tsp. salt

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on LOW 7-8 hours or until cabbage is tender.
_____________________

I couldn't fit everything this recipe called for in my crockpot so I held back on some cabbage and onions. It still made plenty. I wasn't sure if this was going to be all that great. I cooked it on Monday and I thought it seemed okay. I wasn't all that excited about it. We ate it on Wednesday and I thought it was fantastic.

I've mentioned before that my husband's ancestors are from Russia and mine are from Poland so we aren't strangers to eating cabbage and kielbasi, we just usually don't eat them together like this (unless the cabbage has been made into sauerkraut). The flavors though were still very familiar. The broth reminded me of the broth from my husband's grandmother's stuffed cabbage. She uses a bit of sauerkraut but the mustard, wine and tomatoes gave this a similar tangy taste. I wish I had picked up some rye bread to soak up the juice but I had to settle for an Hawaiian sweet roll.

This was relatively healthy too since I used lite kielbasa. Look at all of those healthy vegetables in there! I really love cabbage and I need to find more ways to use it.

Question of the Day: Do you like cabbage? What recipes with cabbage do you like?

6 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I don't really care for cole slaw, but I love cabbage other ways. Shane likes red cabbage in salads. We both like red or green cabbage cooked.

My favorites are with potatoes and broth (as you'd make for corned beef and cabbage), but I also really like a cabbage, noodles and cheese dish I've made a couple of times. I need to see if I can find that recipe.

Anonymous said...

My family is also Polish and we eat "gwumpkies" which is basically like a meatloaf stuffed in cabbage covered with tomato juice. It taste amazing!

The Blushing Hostess said...

I makes a dish similar to that and I adore it. I've ben really pleased with the turkey smoked kielbasa as well.

Another cabbage thought: I solw braise it with bay, chicken stock, and add a touch of butter and sage at the end - a la Edna Lewis. It is satisifying.

Glad to find you! Be well!

La Pixie said...

I like raw cabbage... I use it instead of lettuce on the Fish Stick Tacos. it adds a great crunch. I also like it in my Asian Chicken Salad.

Huckleberry Friend said...

I love stuffed cabbage the most, but since cabbage is in cole slaw, I will say that is also a variation of it that I love! I made a Paula Dean cole slaw over the summer that called for cumin and lime and corn and it was a hit with everyone at the bbq!

Tonight it feels like autumn here, so what a great night to see this recipe!

Noel said...

I love cooked cabbage. But not raw.
My fave way to eat cabbage is to chop it up, get some butter or "I cant believe its not butter" spray throw it all on a piece of foil, add garlic salt, wrap it up and throw it on the BBQ grill and cook till soft with out flipping the foil packet. Oh so good!!
This recipe looks good I may have to try it.