Tuesday, June 15, 2010

BIG, wondeful sugar cookies



Big Sugar Cookies
The Ugly Binder, from somewhere on the internet

2 sticks butter
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
Sprinkles

Cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and pudding. Mix together dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. I used a 1/4-cup scoop, flattened them slightly (they spread) and added sprinkles. I baked them at 325 for about 15 minutes.

I can't remember but I think I got about 15-20 big cookies, 5 per sheet.
__________________________

I decided to make cookies for Nick's teachers and the staff at his school last week. I wanted BIG cookies. Big cookies just taste better, if you ask me. Now, I love my cookbooks but when I need specific recipes fast, I turn to the internet. I found this recipe somewhere but I just jotted down the ingredients and didn't save the link. This recipe wasn't specifically for big cookies but I used my large scoop and adjusted the time and temperature. You'll want to raise the temperature and shorten the baking time if you make these average size.

These were excellent sugar cookies - a bit chewy in the middle and light and crunchy around the edges. I am definitely going to make these next time I need something for a bake sale. I will use cuter sprinkles - I really didn't like these sprinkles but I wanted to use them up.

I've been on a bit of a binge, probably brought on my stress. Over the past few weeks I've picked up several cookbooks at yard sales and even snagged a few at the library book sale. They never have cookbooks, and this was day 3 of their latest sale. I wasn't even expecting a sale on a Sunday (they usually run Friday and Saturday). I had some CDs in my trunk that I was going to donate to the sale but I kept dragging my feet since I was holding a grudge against them for never having any cookbooks. After I scored a few nice cookbooks there, I finally donated the CDs. (That's the end of an era for me - I got rid of all of my CDs since I've gone digitial with music. )

Another library tidbit - I discovered there is a second section of cookbooks in the children's area! My library has a decent cookbook section (and regularly adds to it) but I was excited to find this other section.

So I have a lot of recipes I'd love to make but unfortunately I am just not getting around to much cooking these days. Soon, I hope.

4 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I'll be trying these as soon as I buy some pudding mix. I have a choc. chip cookie recipe that uses pudding mix; it's our favorite. I think we'll all like these, too.

Hope you're stress-free and back to cooking soon!

Charlene Austin said...

YUMMO! I can't wait to try these....just as soon as I get a stove and a functioning kitchen. I don't think I'd be able to pull these off on the BBQ. haha.

Annie Jones said...

I just made these and I wanted to point out that your ingredient list calls for oil that I think isn't supposed to be there. I made them without and the dough looks right without it.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Annie, The recipe is correct. I made them with butter and oil. I even Googled it and found my original source (Cookie Madness). But I'm sure with 2 sticks of butter it would work without the oil too.