Thursday, June 24, 2010

Back to those cookies


Big Soft Ginger Cookies
from the Ugly Binder, from allrecipes.com

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly. I used my 1/4 cup scoop and flattened them slightly.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven (I baked these at 325 and I can't remember exactly how long they took to be honest). Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 2 dozen (according to original recipe - I only got about a dozen big ones).
____________________________

Sorry I have just not been in the mood to blog the rest of the big cookies recipes. It's just not as much fun once the big cookies are long gone!

I was very impressed by the Big Sugar Cookies and then I made these. Wow! These were great. Nice and chewy, perfect amount of spice. Even Nick loved these. As you can see, I almost forgot to get a picture. This leftover piece was tossed in with a sugar cookie, if you're wondering why some of the crumbs look out of place.

I would have prefered them a bit taller, since if they were taller then I would finally have duplicated (to my satisfaction) a molasses cookie I tasted years ago and loved. These were quite flat. I think chilling the dough and baking them at 350 would accomplish that (I baked them at 325).

I've got one more big cookie recipe coming up, sometime in the future. I can't promise exactly when.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh my, I love ginger snaps but sometimes I don't like the crunchiness of them. I have always wanted to find a softer ginger cookie. I'll have to give these a try.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Paula! I love ginger cookies, but for some reason I only make them in the fall. Looks like it's time to break that habit!
Cindy