Friday, July 02, 2010

My baby is two!







I know I've been a bad blogger, even worse than usual. I never heard back about the townhouse and frankly what is the point of calling again? It would have been nice to get a phone call even if they weren't giving it to me, am I wrong?

So, in the meantime, poor Dan got the shaft and didn't get a real birthday party this year. We had cake and ice cream after dinner last night. I made a cake using this yellow cake recipe, but I added some melted bittersweet chocolate to a couple of cups of the batter, making it a marble cake. I used the reverse-creaming method again and at first I wasn't as thrilled as I was the last time I made that recipe but I had refrigerated the cake and it hadn't quite come to room temperature yet when we started eating it. At room temp I was pleased with the texture and flavor but it still didn't compare to my favorite chocolate cake recipe that I usually use for birthday cakes.

I did a buttercream transfer for Elmo, using purchased tubes of frosting for that and the other finishing touches. I used the Easy Buttercream recipe for the rest of the cake, adding some cocoa to about a cup or so of the frosting I put between the layers.

I've got no big plans this weekend so maybe I will get around to blogging the (small) backlog of recipes that I've built up recently.

11 comments:

Sheila said...

I'm sorry about the townhouse. Common courtesy doesn't seem to be so common any more. Happy birthday to Daniel--gosh--where does the time go? I can't believe he is 2 already.
I hope you find the perfect place for you and your boys soon.

Anonymous said...

What a cute birthday boy! Happy Day to him.

I'm looking forward to more blogging.

Jan

Granny said...

As Sheila said, common courtesy is no longer common, it's almost a thing of the past. That cake looks great. Bet he enjoyed it.

MommyProf said...

A happy, happy birthday to your son!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the birthday boy! Time flies, doesn't it?

Rochelle R. said...

Happy Birthday to your little guy. He sure is cute. You did a great job on the cake, it is quite professional looking.

Anonymous said...

What a cute little guy! I can't believe he's two already! Your cake looks great! Happy Birthday to Daniel and hope you all have a nice holiday weekend.
Cindy

Lynda S said...

Happy Birthday to Dan!

It is hard to wait. I hope the right place comes around soon!

Almost An Adult he he... said...

Happy B-day to your baby!! Cake is too cute.
Noel

Mrs. L said...

I just don't understand the manners of folks these days. They should have at least called to update you.

That cake is so cute! Happy belated birthday to your little one.

Lisa L said...

Happy Birthday to your baby! The cake is very cute. I'm sure it was delicious!