Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sorry, more cookies



Lime Cooler Cookies
The Ugly Binder, from the internet

1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, divided
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Line two cookie sheets with either parchment paper.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and lime zest. Add the butter and vanilla; beat, either with a mixer or a wooden spoon, until a dough forms.

Drop dough by generous teaspoons onto the cookie sheet, spacing evenly. (I made these small, using my small scoop and flattening them a bit.) Bake one sheet at a time for about 15 minutes, until cookie bottoms are golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.

Place the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar in a quart or gallon-sized zip-loc bag. Working with a dozen at a time, drop cookies into the sugar and shake to coat. The cookies must be completely cooled.
_________________________

These were a last minute addition to my future SIL's shower. I woke up that morning thinking I should make one more cookie, something easy, something that I had the ingredients on hand to make. I just happened to have a bunch of limes since I've been enjoying a margarita here and there.

There are a million variations of this type of cookie, some with nuts, some with coconut, some plain, etc. There is a reason there are so many variations - this is basically a very good, melt-in-your mouth buttery cookie that many people love. No one would bother coming up with so many variations for a lousy cookie.

I can remember eating the boxed lemon cooler cookies (do they still make those?) These were much better of course. I love citrus infused baked goods and I love making them ever since I purchased a Microplane which makes zesting citrus so easy.

This recipe didn't make much but it is easily doubled, tripled, or whatever. The cookies don't really spread so you can fit a lot of them on a baking sheet at one time.

I know, the cookie recipes are getting boring but that's all I got.

7 comments:

Lynn Gardner said...

Cookies are never boring!

M Smith said...

Boring? Phhht! Cookies are always welcome. Especially summery cookies like these. :)

Sheila said...

Most definitely not boring!!! I loved the lemon cooler cookies. I figured they would be hard to make. These look like even I--who cannot bake at all could make them. Thanks for sharing these. I hope you and the boys are doing well.

Unknown said...

They DO NOT make those anymore...and they were the best cookies! We finally found a recipe that uses lemonade mix to give the lemon flavor to the powdered sugar. SO good!

Pam said...

Oh, they look delicious and I will be making them!!! I'm new here and you have a great blog and a cute little guy below also!

Noel said...

Love all the cookie recipes! Never boring! I am back on WW's so I live vicariously thru others. LOL

Anonymous said...

Those looks wonderful and I think I know what I am going to be doing this afternoon.

I like you blog. I was enticed over to your blog from Real Life Living by your chocolate cake in your profile pic. That really isn't fair. =)