Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A break from all of the sweets



Mushroom-Stuffed Beef Roll-Ups
Complete Slow Cooker Cookbook Copyright 2003

4 thin beef round steaks (about 3 ounces each)
olive oil cooking spray
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 cup seasoned stuffing mix
2 cups fat-free beef broth I used a lower-sodium broth
1 tablespoon dry red wine
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons corn starch
freshly ground black pepper, garnish

Using a meat mallet, pound the steaks to ¼-inch thick.

Coat a nonstick skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions and celery and sauté until the mushrooms and onions are lightly browned.

In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, stuffing mix and ½ cup of the broth. Place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture in the center of each steak; roll up and fasten with a toothpick.

Heat the nonstick skillet again; add the roll-ups and cook until they’re browned on all sides. Transfer to the crockery pot. Pour in the wine and remaining broth. Add the bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW until the beef is cooked through and very tender, about 6 to 8 hours. I didn't have that kind of time so I cooked them on high for a few hours. They were still nice and tender.

Remove to a platter, reserving the broth; keep the beef warm. Discard the bay leaf. Pour the broth into a saucepan.

Combine the cornstarch and cold water in a measuring cup. Pour into the broth and cook, stirring, over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve the roll-ups with the thickened broth. Sprinkle the pepper over each serving.
_____________________________________

This recipe caught my eye a long time ago. The picture in the cookbook was a lot more attractive. I had trouble slicing my roll-ups as prettily since the meat was so tender. I was pleased with this recipe. It was very easy to put it all together (I ran the veggies through the mini-chopper) and I thought they were delicious. I used a lower-sodium broth and didn't add any salt yet I didn't miss the extra salt at all. I'm not a saltaholic but I do miss it if there's not enough there. This recipe didn't knock me off my feet but it was something I would make again since they were so easy to prepare and not too heavy or rich.

Question of the Day: Do you use salt? A little? A lot?

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I used to use a lot of salt. Now, I am supposed to be cutting it out, and I am surprised at how little I miss it. I do still use some, like on popcorn. And of course it's in all kinds of things that I buy ready made. But I don't cook with it, as a matter of course, anymore.