Monday, May 29, 2006

No wonder she goes on and on about these



Gooey Butter Cakes (pineapple variation)
The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook Copyright 1997,1998

One 18 ½-ounce package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients and mix well. Pat into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Prepare filling.

Filling
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
One 16-ounce box powdered sugar
20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add butter; beat. Add powdered sugar and pineapple and mix well. Spread over cake mixture. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. You want the center to be a little gooey, so do not overbake. It comes out looking like a full cake but shrinks down. I might have overbaked these - it was hard to tell. The crust was quite firm but the filling was still nice and chewy. I have no idea if they were supposed to be gooey-er or not. I thought they were great this way.
________________________________

Paula Deen raves about these 'Gooey Butter Cakes' and I finally had to see what the big deal was. All I can say is, YUM! I always pictured something sloppy when she talked about these but these cut very cleanly. They were like chewy little brownies. They were nice with a dollop of Cool Whip on top too.

She gives several variations and I opted to add the pineapple. I think they'd be great plain too. I'm sure every variation is good because they all have the two sticks of butter and 8-ounces of cream cheese in them - what could go wrong?

I don't reach for this cookbook too often because my waistline can't handle it but since these were being taken to a gathering (another cookout - not the one I brought the Easy Cream Puff Dessert to), I went ahead and splurged. Well worth it. Oh, and super-simple. These come together in no time. You could do this all in one bowl - just wipe the bowl out after you finish the crust.

These were easy to transport and not overly perishable which was good because this cookout was at a state park and it was hot. I can see that many of you choose picnic dessert recipe based on ease of transportation and perishability. Usually we hang out in the back yard so a refrigerator is close by. After attending a picnic at a state park on Monday, I'm all for staying close to home (where the bathroom is always close, you can come inside for some cool air, where it's easier to keep the food safe, where your toddler can take a nap when he has a complete meltdown, etc).

Question of the Day: How badly do you want to try these Gooey Butter Cakes right now??

9 comments:

Wanda said...

That looks GOOOD! Tomorrow I have to take the main dish to a luncheon, but for next month's luncheon, I think I will volunteer for the dessert and take this!
Tomorrow, I am taking two tomato pies and some tuna salad sandwiches. I posted the tomato pie recipe and photo on my blog a while back.

Anonymous said...

Immediately! But, I won't. I only make desserts for guests, etc. since my husband is diabetic and I have to watch my sugar intake. Darn!
I'm a big Paula Deen fan and have lusted after this cake for a long time. Soooo...enjoy. (Tears filling eyes)
Jan

Anonymous said...

Not nearly as much as I'm drooling for a piece of the Easy Cream Puff Cake you posted yesterday! Yummmm! These look good but my arteries are telling me "NO". (Geez, those arteries are no fun!)

Love your blog, Paula!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it would take much convincing for me to have a piece of that cake. It looks great! I'll have to add this to my list of *must-try* recipes.

Randi said...

I always see a gooey butter cake recipe on the box of kroger brand cream cheese. Oh and I have a cake mix dr. book that has a gooey butter cake recipe in it too. I want to try it now. I prefer the french vanilla cake mix though, they taste less chemically to me.

Alanna Kellogg said...

Huh! So Paula Dean has invaded St Louis territory now! They're wicked-sinful good, no doubt!

Unknown said...

Not so much since it's pineapple...but I could definitely go for another version (she has SO many!). Paula Deen is coming to MS in July for a demonstration and hope I'll get to go! Yippee!

ThursdayNext said...

ntI love Paula, but this past week one of her recipes freaked me out. She made peanut butter fudge with...chedder cheese? Anyway, the gooey cakes are awesome and I want to try her PB one sooo badly!

zann said...

definitely going to try this.