Sunday, August 20, 2006

A crowd pleaser



Angie's Dad's Best Cabbage Coleslaw
The Ugly Binder, from allrecipes.com

1 medium head cabbage, shredded
1 cup grated carrots
(I used the bagged cabbage and carrot mix)
1 large red onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped I added celery seed instead
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard
black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well.

Note:This is best if made a day ahead to 2 weeks ahead. If you make it far ahead, drain juice prior to serving. (I thought it was tasty a few hours after I made it. I made it two days ahead and it was fine. Two weeks might be pushing it, in my opinion.)
___________________________________

This was the last recipe I decided on for the cookout and it received several compliments from my guests. I was making a creamy potato salad so I didn't want a creamy cole slaw, although I usually prefer creamy slaws. This reminded me a lot of the ever-popular ramen noodle salad. It had a similar tangy dressing. Very good for such a simple recipe to prepare. The cabbage/carrot mix was on sale too! To top it all off, this is perfect for Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday. Cabbage is good for all sorts of things.

By the way, I went with the red potatoes for the potato salad and I was very pleased. I thought the texture of them was just right. Usually I end up with mushy potatoes and crunchy potatoes. These came out perfectly tender, through and through. I paid the premium for the better looking local potatoes.
I basically followed the recipe for Old-Fashioned Potato Salad from the Gourmet Cookbook, but I also threw in some green onions for even more color.

I'm so 'fooded out'. I can't take anymore leftovers. Tonight I'm going to make quesadillas with the leftover chicken, pepperjack cheese and salsa and serve that with the leftover corn but not another spoonful of potato salad or any of the other leftovers (okay, except that last piece of tiramisù) will pass these lips. I felt so horrible last night from too many days in a row of overindulging. I can't wait to get back to 'normal', more healthy eating.

Question of the Day: Do you like your cole slaw creamy, not creamy or not at all?

4 comments:

MommyProf said...

I prefer the vinegar slaw. If I have to have creamy, I like the sweeter southern style.

Annie said...

I don't eat it that often, but when I did, it was creamy. I think I would like your version though, it sounds healthier, too!

Unknown said...

It depends on what mood I'm in. However, most creamy slaws don't taste right to me (at least the commercial ones). I guess I prefer the vinegar style ones.

Anonymous said...

I like mine rather creamy. I've been using a mixture of low-fat mayo, plain nonfat yogurt and a splash of milk and vinegar lately, along with some seasonings.

Yours looks really good, might have to copy this one down. I just recently found your blog and I love it! Plan to spend quite a bit of time perusing your archives, looks like some great stuff there :)

Have a great day!