Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More leftovers



Cucumbers with Dill
Cooking With Herbs and Spices Copyright 1963, 1970,1984

2 large cucumbers I used one large English (seedless) cucumber
½ cup vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh snipped dill I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried dill

1. Peel cucumbers or score lengthwise with fork tines. Cut into very thin slices.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumber slices. Marinate at least one hour in the refrigerator before serving.
__________________________________

I wanted something easy and light to go with the Russian-Style Chicken Cutlets and Mushrooms Paprikash that I served last week. Cucumber salad is one the easiest salads to make. I don't make it very often because my mother-in-law serves it a lot. You could add slices of sweet onion to this too.

I've always thought of cucumbers almost as a non-food. Few calories but little nutritional value. I was surprised to see them included on this list of the World's Healthiest Foods. I'm grasping at straws here for a contribution to Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday, but, hey, I'm not cooking this week.

Last night we just had store-bought roast beef subs and salad with a simple balsamic/oil/honey dressing. I actually miss cooking but there was just no time to plan or cook this week. I need to save my energy for all of the cooking I'll be doing on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I still haven't finalized the menu. It's traditional cookout food but it's hard to streamline the menu. I'm torn between macaroni salad and potato salad. I really want potato salad, with a creamy dressing, but the thought of peeling hot potatoes doesn't appeal to me. I've seen recipes for creamy red potato salads but I've never used reds for a creamy potato salad. Do you think that would work?

Hey, that's the Question of the Day: Do you think I could use red potatoes in my potato salad?

7 comments:

Randi said...

I make a potato salad from Cook's Illustrated. You peal and cube the spuds first, then boil then for 8 minutes. After they drain, you pour over the vinegar and then toss them with the dressing you make right in the bowl. Its very easy and everyone loves it. My MIL made potato salad last weekend for her family bbq and she didnt use any vinegar. The salad was very flat.

DancesInGarden said...

I love potato salad no matter what is done to it LOL. One of my favourites is small red potatoes cut unpeeled into quarters, then tossed with a mustardy creamy dressing that includes dill. I think there are sliced red onions in there too. I don't have a recipe, but I believe it's basically mayo, mustard, dill pickles, minced dill, salt and pepper. Maybe parsley and perhaps a touch of lemon juice.

ThursdayNext said...

iYes indeed! I have made it with reds before; its quite good. :)

Unknown said...

I think red potatoes would be great! They'd add color to a normally bland looking dish!

Annie said...

I think red potatoes would be a pleasant change. You could do either type of dressing, creamy or vinegar based, and it would be good!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I think I'll go with the red potatoes, although Randi's method might work too. I've often wondered why I don't do it that way. It's so hard to cook white potatoes properly, when they're whole.

Rebel In Ontario said...

I would use red but I always peel and cube my spuds before making my salad and I too add vinegar with mustard and celery seed to them while they are still warm. Then add a creamy dressing with lots of onions, hardcooked eggs and cut up dill pickles...makes my mouth water just thinking about it!