Monday, August 07, 2006

Moo!




Broiled Flank Steak
America’s Quick Cuisine Copyright 2004

1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/3 cup salad oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons each Worcestershire, soy sauce, and dry mustard
¼ teaspoon pepper
few drops of liquid hot pepper seasoning
1 to 1 ½ pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat

1. In a shallow dish, mix garlic, oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, soy sauce, mustard, pepper and hot pepper seasoning. Place steak in dish; turn to coat with marinade. Let stand for 30 minutes, turning over several times. I marinated this overnight.
2. Remove steak from marinade; drain briefly, reserving marinade. Place steak on lightly greased rack of a broiler pan. Pour marinade into a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Broil steak about 4 inches below heat, turning once and basting several times with marinade, until done to your liking; cut to test (8 to 10 minutes for rare). I grilled mine.
3. To serve, cut steak across the grain into thin, slanting slices.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
___________________________________

This was rather basic. I think I have an almost identical recipe in the Ugly Binder that I've made a few times. It enhances the meat but it doesn't overpower it. It was too hot to make anything complicated when I made this so that's why I chose this recipe.

Well, actually this wasn't the recipe I chose but I didn't realize it until I after I made it. I got confused. There was actually another similar recipe I was planning on making but, well if you saw the explosion of cookbooks in my spare room, you might understand how I get confused. It wasn't until a few days after I made this that I figured out that I used the wrong recipe.

I don't know what to serve at my cookout this year and it's now less than 2 weeks away. Usually I do burgers, dogs and something else grilled for the main dishes. So far that something else has been chicken every year. I was going to grill shrimp but now I'm avoiding shellfish since my son wasn't tested for shellfish and I really don't want to find out he's allergic to that too. Red meat is expensive but I could do the Beef Kabobs with Oriental Sauce. As much as I absolutely love the Easy Italian Spiced Pork, I don't think anyone generally gets excited about pork unless it's ribs (too expensive for large crowd) or smoked pork (and although I have a new, unused smoker, I've run out of time to experiment with it before the cookout). It will probably be chicken again. I can always use one of the chicken marinade recipes I've tried.

Question of the Day: Does anyone have any ideas on what other meat I could serve at our cookout?



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's always link sausage. Around these parts, almost anytime a grill is going, sausage gets thrown on, no matter what the other meat is. It cooks fast and the casing gets crispy, making it so good.
Also, fajitas, but with that you really need tortillas and the "accessories", so that means more preparation. Not as quick and trouble-free as the sausage.
Whatever you end up with, have a great time!

Jan

Heather said...

what happened to the pink??
other meats.. sausages, brats, stir fry meat or the meat they use for that. We like pork loins on the grill.

Unknown said...

Well, this is on my side of the table (I don't really do much beef), but grilled catfish is really good. Just put some foil on the grill, season the fish as you desire, and enjoy. You could also do kabobs with veggies and beef or chicken. Also, grilled portabello mushrooms are really good.

Annie said...

I like Claire's idea of Beef and Chicken Kabobs and Portabello mushrooms! YUMMO.

ThursdayNext said...

I know this may sound weird, but something hearty would be grilling pizza. Its easy to do...just grill the pizza dough and add toppings like mushrooms and cheeses for a more hearty, yet inexpensive, alternative to meat. :)
http://busycooks.about.com
/od/pizzarecipes/r
/grillpizza.htm

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Great ideas. I've thought about sausage but we already have all those hot dogs. But we're serving hamburgers and I was thinking of beef kabobs which are both beef Actually the hot dogs are beef too so some type of pork sausage wouldn't be redundant.

I've done chicken kabobs in the past but decided that chicken tenders were less labor intensive and easier to handle on the grill.

I wouldn't want to attempt to grill pizza without practicing first and I don't think I have time now (same as my smoker).

Last year I grilled veggies (including portabellos) too and they were delicious but not a big crowd pleaser. They were enjoyed but not really worth all that work and expense.

I wish I knew for sure whether or not my son could eat shellfish - I have the perfect shrimp recipe for the grill. Darn.

BTW Heather,I decided to live without the pink for a while. I like the cleaner look for now.