Sunday, January 08, 2006

Something different (for me) with mushrooms



Mushrooms Paprikash
Cooking With Herbs and Spices Copyright 1963,1970,1984

1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot or onion I used onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon flour
½ teaspoon salt, if desired
2 teaspoons paprika, or to taste
dash of ground red pepper
¼ cup sour cream

1. Sauté the shallot in the butter three minutes. Add the mushrooms and lemon juice and cook five or six minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
2. Combine the flour, salt, paprika and red pepper. Add to the mushrooms and cook, stirring, one minute. Add the sour cream and heat, but do not boil.

I had some mushrooms that I needed to use up and this seemed like an easy but tasty recipe to try. It was a nice change from sautéed mushrooms, which is what I would usually do with sliced mushrooms for a side dish. I ate this on it's own, on a night my husband was working late, but it would be a nice side with simply prepared meats. My end product ended up with a good kick of heat - I gave it a nice dose of cayenne.

This book is one of the earliest in my collection, acquired in my warehouse days. It was written by Craig Claiborne, the former New York Times food editor, who wrote the New York Times Cookbook, and many other cookbooks. I think I might have one more cookbook of his in my collection, one on Chinese cooking. His cookbooks aren't fancy but I haven't been disappointed by any of his recipes yet.

5 comments:

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Yes, please send me the info! I never pass up new recipes.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Thanks, I signed up!

Anonymous said...

Paula--I would like to just bathe myself in this, it looks so good! Do you know what country's cuisine it comes from?

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Hmm, I don't know Lisa. Sour cream and paprika definitely gives it an Eastern European flair.

Amanda said...

I bet this would be good if you added chicken to it too. Thanks!