Monday, January 02, 2006

A New Year's Eve nibble



Sherried Shrimp
The New York Times Cookbook Copyright 1961

24 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined I used large shrimp
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sherry
¼ cup salad oil
1 teaspoon powdered ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, ground I used 1 tbsp of jarred, grated ginger
1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1. Marinate the raw shrimp in the remaining ingredients one hour or less.
2. Place the shrimp with a little of the marinade in a skillet and cook three or four minutes, until shrimp are done. If possible, use an electric skillet. I used my George Foreman grill and they were done almost instantaneously.

4 servings

On New Year’s Eve, I usually make a few different nibbles instead of a meal. This was one of the nibbles I made this year. It was easy to prepare and very good. It added flavor to the shrimp without overpowering it. (Excuse the blurry-looking pic - that's steam rising off the shrimp.)

This is probably the cookbook I've owned the longest. I picked it up the summer I worked in the warehouse of a book publisher and we could purchase returns for $1 (hardcover) or 50 cents (paperback). That was the summer I started my cookbook collection. This is a classic cookbook yet I haven't tried too many recipes from it but this one was so good (and so is the Butterscotch pie I made from this book), it has me thinking that I really need to take a closer look at this cookbook.

No comments: