Friday, January 13, 2006

Taking a little break


I'm having a party for my son's second birthday tomorrow so no time for blogging today - too much to do! - but I will post about the potato salad and the cake later this weekend. In the meantime, I have a few random thoughts.

I'm so happy that the part for my oven came! Tell me, how did people maintain their homes before the internet? If I didn't have the internet, I probably would have gone out and purchased a new oven. But instead, I powered up the computer and a few googles later I knew exactly which part I needed, where to get it, how to install it and now my oven is fixed. I've fixed my dryer using the internet too .

The other thing I wanted to mention was the difference in my eating since starting this blog. You think I would have fattened up but I haven't. Last night I wasn't working with a recipe - I put together a dish of cheese tortellini, jarred sauce, preshredded cheese and ground beef. That's how I used to cook - I'd use the drive home to think of what I could throw together for dinner. Now, don't get me wrong, it was delicious but it was way too rich and I ate way too much of it. When I put effort into following a recipe, I don't tend to eat as much, no matter how good it is. And I don't think anyone would have written a recipe adding as much cheese as I did!

3 comments:

Randi said...

re your note: I used the thin crust whole wheat boboli. Because you're right, the other ones are too much crust. I usually make my own pizza dough too, and so I felt guilty about using a crust for 2.50( I picked one up at meijer and it was 3.89, then i went to kroger and it was 2.50). I have to return the one at Meijer, pain in the arse i know, but I can't stand paying more than i have to.

Wanda said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. It's a daily stop for me...not that I am such an avid cook, but I do find meal preparation interesting, and your blog inspires me. I love the concept - making a deliberate effort to try new recipes from your cookbooks, and then posting them, with real results, real photos and a critique. I recommended your blog to my sister who does love cooking, and also collects recipes. Keep up the great work! And I look forward to hearing about birthday cake soon. ;)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY NICK!

Man, I can't believe he's already two! I remember when we were waiting for you to have him!
Looking forward to hearing all about his cake. Hurry back!