Sunday, January 22, 2006

Satisfying an urge



Sweet Potato Brownies
The Ugly Binder, clipped from Women’s Health and Fitness Magazine

1 stick trans-free margarine
1 cup sugar
½ cup Splenda
5 egg whites
½ Tbsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup oatmeal
½ cup baking cocoa
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup mashed, cooked sweet potato without skin I used canned
¼ cup chopped pecans (I omitted these)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x12 inch baking pan. (I used a 9 x 13-inch pan.) Cream the margarine, sugar and Splenda. Add the egg whites one by one. Scrape the bowl well. Add the rest of the ingredients except the pecans. Mix well. Spread batter in pan. Top with pecans and bake until the brownies are firm in the center, about 30 minutes.

Make 16 servings. Calories 169, Fat 7 grams, Sat Fat, 1 gram, Total Carbs 23 grams, Fiber 1.5 grams, Sugar 13 grams, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 99 mg, Protein 3 grams.

I've been craving something sweet, probably going through withdrawal after all the leftover birthday cake I ate last week. I was planning on making a cheesecake but the scale unkindly informed me that probably wasn't a good idea.

So I pulled out this recipe that I had clipped out of a fitness magazine. Was it the best brownie I ever had? No, of course not. But it was pretty good for a healthy alternative and it was very chocolately and satisfied my urges without making me feel guilty. The sweet potato keeps these very moist and they actually seem to get better with age. I opted to refrigerate them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really interesting recipe. Do they have a sweet potatoe flavor at all? They look like a good fudgey brownie and it is good to make something healthy, I'll have to try these.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I would liken it to adding bananas to a chocolate recipe. You can sort of taste the sweet potato but it's not very pronounced. I found that the flavors melded a little more each day and they tasted a bit more chocolatey, less sweet potato-y (or was I getting used to the flavor??) yet they stayed nice and moist (in an airtight container in the refrigerator).