Saturday, January 28, 2006

Power breakfast



Mushroom Scramble
500 Low-Carb Recipes Copyright 2002

1 to 2 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
¼ cup sliced mushrooms
3 eggs, beaten (I only use 2 eggs)

1. Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat, and sauté the onion and mushrooms for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.
2. Add the eggs and scramble until set, and serve.

1 serving, 3 grams carbs, trace fiber, 17 grams protein

Not much of a recipe, huh? I sometimes concentrate so much on our dinner menu that I neglect to buy foods for breakfast and lunch. I was coming up empty while looking for my usual breakfast foods one morning and I had some eggs and some extra mushrooms, and as always, onion, so I made this. It was a Monday morning and I'm usually tired on Mondays (after staying up to watch Grey's Anatomy) but I wasn't as tired that day. Nor was I about to chew my own arm off well before lunchtime, as usual. I ended up having a lower-carb lunch that day too and I didn't spend the afternoon feeling exhausted, which is quite a difference.

I'm never going to go very low-carb but this was a bit of motivation to start going lower-carb. I just can't pile on the fat - due to our family histories, that's a risk I'm not willing to take no matter how hard any low-carb believer tries to tell me the fat won't hurt me if I avoid the carbs. Instead I have to look for low-carb, not very high fat recipes. There are more of those types of recipes than I would have expected in this cookbook, a library selection.

I have to rely on my own knowledge of nutrition to figure out which recipes in this book are high in fat and which ones aren't, since they only give you info on carbs and protein, which is probably all that low-carbers need to know. But since many diabetics also like to watch carbs, it would be nice for low-carb cookbooks to include full nutrtional information, just for the heck of it. But that would probably be pretty scary for some low-carb recipes!

1 comment:

anavar said...

This recipe is great! My advice is to add some cheese. It will add some calories, but no carbs.