Saturday, December 31, 2005
My 2006 culinary New Year's resolutions
Here are a few things I would like to accomplish in my kitchen this year:
1. Make my own pizza dough. I've made lots of pizzas on store-bought pizza shells but I've yet to make my own crust from scratch. I already have a couple of pizza screens (never used).
2. Make something in a tart pan (I have one, never used).
3. Make something in a springform pan (I have one, never used). Maybe a cheesecake, but perhaps a charlotte. I've always wanted to make a charlotte.
4. Smoke something in an electric smoker (I have one, never used).
5. Use my new bread machine (I just got it, never used) at least 6 times, hopefully many more. Can I make pizza dough in a bread machine? That would kill two birds with one stone.
Hmmmm. Maybe I should think of starting another blog - The Small Appliance Junkie, or The Kitchen Gadget Junkie.
6. $100 spending limit on new cookbooks. Seriously, how many cookbooks does one person need? $100 can buy a lot of cookbooks at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. I wrapped up 2005 by ordering a bread machine cookbook and a venison cookbook so there aren't any cookbooks I really 'need' starting the new year.
7. Make homemade marshmallows. I know lots of people have BTDT with the homemade marshmallow thing but it's been on my to-do list forever and this year I'm going to cross it off.
8. Make jam. Canning is a dream of mine and jam seems like a good place to start.
9. Make something with phyllo dough. This has always intimidated me.
10. Even out my categories a bit more. I've leaned pretty heavily on main dish and dessert recipes since starting this blog. I need to try more recipes for appetizers, soups and side dishes.
I'm confident I can do everything on this list, except I suspect number 6 will definitely be a problem.