Sunday, December 18, 2005

Ding! Ding! Ding! Holiday baking begins!



Peanut Butter Fudge
The Ugly Binder – copied from the internet

In 2 qt pot:
3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
Cook over medium heat for about 5-6 minutes, until mixture forms soft ball when you drop ½ tsp. of it in a cup of cold water. (I just use a candy thermometer and it seems to take much longer than 5-6 minutes.)

Remove from heat and add:
1 rounded tablespoon of butter
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
12-oz jar creamy peanut butter
1 7-oz jar marshmallow whip

Stir until all blended with a rubber spatula. Place in a greased 13x9-inch pan. (I use a 9x9-in pan.) Refrigerate until hard. Cut into squares. Cover with plastic wrap before refrigerating. Keeps 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Okay so technically this isn't baking, it's candy making but this is the start of my week of holiday treat making. This recipe came from someone on an internet forum I frequent. I’ve tried a few other peanut butter fudge recipes but once I tried this one, I knew I’d never try another one. This is super simple – the hardest part is waiting for the sugar and milk to reach soft ball stage. I let it get to 238 degrees. My husband’s grandmother loves this fudge and she’s very finicky.

No comments: