Friday, December 30, 2005

I almost forgot about this



Sour Cream Banana Bread
The Ugly Binder, copied from the internet, source unknown (recipe from a B&B I think)

1 cup sugar
½ cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour bottom only of a 9x5-inch loaf pan. In large bowl, beat together sugar and oil. Add eggs, bananas, sour cream and vanilla, blend well. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off, Add flour, baking soda and salt, stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator. Makes 1 loaf. (I made four mini-loaves this time.)

I've been making this bread for over 5 years. I've tried countless other banana bread recipes but once I tried this one, I've never tried another. When my husband and I first got together, I made this bread countless times for him to pack with his lunch. It freezes beautifully. You don't have to stick to bananas. I've made it with bananas or (canned) pumpkin most often, but I've also made it with grated carrot, and also apples. I just adjust the spices depending on what fruit I use (adding pumpkin pie spice with pumpkin, cinammon with apple, etc). It always turns out great.

I gave this bread to my son's daycare caregivers, for Christmas, along with gift certificates. They loved it and you will too. I wish I could have sliced into it for a better picture but obviously I couldn't, since they were gifts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,Lovely picture! yummy banana based recipe.... gonna add this in my list of bakes!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! I just have a question regarding bread storage. I was planning on sending the bread to my relatives in California and since I live in Hawaii, it takes about 4-5 days to arrive. Do you think that the bread will arrive ok? Any suggestions or any other recipes that you think will survive a couple of days longer?

Thank You

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Hmmmm. I find that baked goods with fruit, especially bananas, can get a little funny after a few days. The bananas seem to continue ripening within the bread and they get a little sticky. I've never noticed that with this bread but we usually eat this pretty quickly or we freeze it.

I think fudgy brownies or Ruth Wakefield's cookie bars would last a bit longer.

I can only guess as I haven't tried to mail anything I've made. I do remember that the Sour Cream Raspberry Swirl Loaf tasted better after I put it aside for few days.

Anonymous said...

I TRIED PRINTING ONE PAGE OF THE RECIPE AND GOT THREE PAGES - I ONLY WANT ONE PAGE TO TAKE TO THE KITCHEN TO MAKE THE BREAD. RECIPE WAS GOOD, BUT PRINTING OPTIONS ARE NOT.

Shauna said...

You should check out this contest for the best banana bread recipes. You could win a $50 gift card!!

http://www.squidoo.com/moist-banana-bread-recipe

There aren't very many recipes competing either, so you could probably win it pretty easily!! I could just copy your recipe and win it myself, but that would be cheating. Plus I'm the one sponsoring the contest!!! :)

blessings,
Shauna

Anonymous said...

Let me first say I just found your blog and I am quite impressed. I love cooking blogs and am also a cookbook junkie. I have a recipe very close to this on my blog. It also includes a brown butter frosting. http://cookingforabilly.blogspot.com/2008/09/sour-cream-banana-bars.html