Monday, December 12, 2005

Simply scampi



Shrimp Scampi
The New Best Recipe Copyright 2004

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil I used canola oil
2 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, if desired I used large shrimp
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon dry vermouth I used some white wine
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and ground black pepper

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until shimmering. Swirl to coat the pan bottom. Add half the shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a medium bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.
2. Return the now-empty skillet to medium-low heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the pan. When the foaming subsides, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Off the heat, add the lemon juice and vermouth. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, add the parsley and cayenne, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Return the shrimp and accumulated juices to the skillet. Toss to combine and serve immediately.

Serves 4 to 6

I had some shrimp to use up and I wanted to work with what I had on hand so I decided to make a simple shrimp scampi. You would think I could find several recipes but surprisingly this was the only recipe for this dish I could find in my collection. It turned out really well. Sure, I could have thrown ingredients together, willy-nilly, and it would have been good, but the flavors probably would not have been as well-balanced.

This cookbook can be a bit anal and they tend to overanalyze the recipes but this recipe was simple and straightforward. Much simpler than the chicken marsala I made from this book, which took me forever to transcribe.

No comments: