Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Another beef sandwich
--French Dip



French Dip
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook Copyright 2000

3-lb rump roast
½ cup soy sauce I used low-sodium
1 beef bouillon cube
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried thyme
3-4 peppercorns
1 tsp. garlic powder

1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Add water to almost cover meat.
2. Cover. Cook on low 10-12 hours. I cooked it on high for a few hours.
___________________________

I set a record with this recipe. The cookbook had only been in my possession for less than an hour when I made this recipe. I wanted to make beef sandwiches with a roast I had but I realized the recipe that I picked out was one that I had already made (Marinated Beef Sandwiches) so I needed another one right away. Lo and behold, this book had been waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home from work and I knew it would have what I was looking for in it.

I should have let this cook overnight instead of just cooking it between work and bedtime (we ate it the next evening). The meat was tender but not falling apart tender. It was good but I'm still searching for that ultimate slow-cooked sliced beef sandwich.

I made the mistake of making the rolls this weekend, wrapping them up tightly and leaving them on the counter. They were getting stale. I forget how quickly homemade bread turns stale since I usually use it or freeze it right away.

I've been trying to use up stuff this week. This recipe didn't require buying anything extra. I had a roast in the freezer ($2.99/lb for a 'natural' roast!) and the rest of the ingredients were from the pantry. The rolls were made from scratch too. So my cupboards are getting bare, which feels strangely good. I love seeing my cupboards full too but when they start to get empty, I know I'm going to get to fill them up again soon. I have at least one more week until I make a Costco run.

This book is one of those that has several variations of the same recipe, which is actually kind of nice if you're not quite sure what you can substitute or leave out of a recipe. You're bound to find the exact variation that you need in this cookbook. Many of the recipes are a bit heavy and/or recipes that I've made before but I picked this up because I'm really looking for ways to save time and effort getting dinner on the table after work.

Blast From The Past: Slow-Cooker Pot Roast with Caramelized Onion Gravy from March 2006. I debated making that recipe again with this roast.

Question of the Day: How much time do you spend getting dinner on the table during the week?

8 comments:

Randi said...

I have that cookbook too. I havent cooked from it in a long time. I made a chicken noodle thing that I didnt like at all.

I spend about 1hr with dinner. But if I have a day off, I'll cook most of the day for the next few days. I have a good hamburger roll recipe for you. Its called Moomies buns, its in the KA whole grain book. Joe( culinary in the dessert) has made them many times. I've blogged about them too. I use KA white whole wheat buns. They are so much better than store bought buns.

MommyProf said...

I've thought about that cookbook...

I spend 30 minutes on a good day, but I have a hungry baby who needs attention as soon as I get home and a hungry husband and older kid who need to eat soon after I am done. When I am good, I cook on the weekends so we can just heat up during the week...

Heather said...

I have never used this book, but have looked at it several times.
I spend anywhere from 15 minutes to 60 minutes on weeknight meals.
I try to get things done the day before for longer meals, but it doesn't always happen.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to answer this for fear of being kicked off this blog! I can tell you this: I USED to cook more often and I'd spend anywhere from half an hour on up preparing a meal. But life has changed and my boys aren't home as much so I find myself making DH a quickie meal (an omelet, macho nachos, grilled cheese & tomato soup, etc).

I love hearing all your ideas for meals. My family loves when I make goulash (how crazy is that? A very easy, throw together meal?!) or Spinach Chicken Enchiladas or even homemade veggie soup (wintertime). But I feel like I get in a serious rut with menus.

Anonymous said...

I spend about an hour on dinner but much more in the kitchen. I just found your blog. I am a cookbook junkie too! I hope to adapt some of these recipes to be gluten-free.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I have that cookbook also, and one of the only things I've made out of it is a French Dip, but not this one. It's now my de facto standard for that type of meat. It's on page 103, Au Jus I think it's called. I used to make homemade rolls with it, but my bread machine is out in storage and I haven't gotten it out in a while to see if it still works. We love that meat though, fall apart tender and very flavorful.

Anonymous said...

I was just looking through that cookbook today. I need to find more crockpot meals that I can get my family to eat. I did make a slow-cooked lasagna a couple of weeks ago that I'd repeat otherwise it's usually a "bleh" from the troops.

Time on dinner? Depends upon the day. It could be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. :-)

Bunny_lover said...

I will have to get that cookbook. As the weather finally gets warmer, I am always looking for recipes that don't heat up the kitchen.