Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Just your basic stir-fry
-- Spicy Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry



Spicy Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry
The Pampered Chef Main Dishes, Recipes At The Heart of Every Meal Copyright 2000

¼ cup light soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 boneless beef top sirloin steak ( 1 ¼ pounds), trimmed
3 cups broccoli flowerets
1 medium onion
1 medium red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 teaspoon peeled fresh ginger root, finely chopped I used jarred
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ cup beef broth I used low-sodium

1. In Classic Batter Bowl, whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of the oil with Stainless Steel Whisk. Cut steak lengthwise in half and then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick strips with Chef’s Knife. Add beef to soy sauce mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 15 minutes to marinate.
2. Meanwhile, cut broccoli into flowerets and onion into thin wedges. Cut bell pepper into thin strips, 2 inches long. Set vegetables aside. Press garlic with Garlic Press. Finely chop ginger root with Food Chopper.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil in Stir-Fry Skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half each of beef, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to skillet. Using Bamboo Spoon, stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat with 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil and remaining beef, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Remove from skillet.
4. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet until hot. Add broccoli, onion and bell pepper; stri-fry 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return beef to skillet; add broth. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring gently, until sauce is slightly thickened.

Yield: 4 servings
____________________________

This is actually a real Pampered Chef cookbook - not one of the seasonal pamphlet-style ones. It's a well-constructed cookbook with a spiral binding and color photographs on every page. I don't think I would pay what they ask for their cookbooks but I'm cheap. The recipes all look very good. They helpfully bold all of the Pampered Chef products you should be using when making their recipes. In the above recipe, I did use the bamboo spoon. Wait, no, I used a bamboo spatula.

This was a standard stir-fry. I tend to love the meat in a stir-fry while just tolerating the vegetables. The vegetable portion usually tastes a lot better when I eat the leftovers, but straight out of the pan, they're usually a little bit bland since they're cooked so quickly, they don't absorb a lot of flavor.

I just realized that it's Tuesday and this recipe is perfect for Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday.

In other news, the winner of the March Cookbook giveaway is .................... Mommy Prof! I don't have a cookbook lined up for April yet. Maybe this weekend I'll come up with one. I can't believe we're three days into April already.

Blast From The Past: Spicy Orange Beef from July 2006. I love this stir-fry because it's just about all meat.

Question of the Day: Do you own any Pampered Chef products?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Boy do I! We had a party when i graduated from college in order to stock my kitchen. Our show was great and I ended up getting $300 worth for just over $100. I have 4 pieces of stonewear, a carrying thing, a set of knives, a mixing bowl, spatulas, a chopper, a cutting board, wooden spoons, a pie roller, a can opener, a garlic press. I think that's about it. Maybe a couple of other small things...but I'm pretty well stocked.

Rebel In Ontario said...

Yes, I own the small batter bowl, their chopper, BBQ basting silicone brush, a pasty brush and one of the large chef knives. Most of these have been purchased from a friend or when my SIL has a party.

DancesInGarden said...

Tart tamper, wavy slicer (not sure what it is called), ice cream scoop, and a heat proof spatula. Of all the items, I love love love the spatula and ice cream scoop (it's like ten years old and still going strong). The tart tamper is great when I use it (twice LOL). I don't use the cutter often, but it works well.

I don't go to the parties and I don't want any more of their things, I find the quality has gone to the pits and I hate the sales pitch.

I do covet the baking stones, but too cheap to shell out for something I might use once.

Heather said...

I own quite a few different PC items and a lot of PC inspired items. Funny that you posted this because I just had a party last week.
I love the stuff, but I also love the idea of the stuff and the fact that I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stop by periodically & this post really caught my eye. YES!! I have PC stuff! Actually, I sold it for about 4 years, just so I could feed my PC habit, but do it cheaply. I probably have more of it than I don't have, if that makes sense. Use it all the time still.
I enjoy reading your posts!

Randi said...

I have a few of those bread tubes that I've never used.

Cate said...

I didn't know that Pampered Chef had "real" cookbooks - I've only seen their pamphlets. (And this coming from someone who sells PC!) The stir fry looks great!

Anonymous said...

I also sold PC back in the early 90's. I have WAY to much of their stuff (sort of like my tupperware collection) but I use quite a bit of it on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

I love their powdered sugar sifter, and I keep a second one with flour for lightly flouring my cutting board...very handy! Super easy to fill and use, too.