Friday, April 06, 2007

What a night
--Family-Style Turkey Loaf


Family-Style Turkey Loaf
The Everything Gluten-Free Cookbook Copyright 2006

1 pound mixed ground turkey
1 cup ground popcorn or gluten-free cornbread crumbs I used regular cornbread crumbs
2/3 cup milk
¼ cup chili sauce
3 eggs I used 2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon thyme
½ cup chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2 strips bacon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Put all but the bacon into your food processor and whirl until well-blended. I just blended it all by hand.
3. Pout into a 9”x5” bread pan and put that pan into a much larger one (such as an 11”x 13” pan). Place in the oven and add boiling water to the larger pan. Cut the bacon into halves and arrange across the top of the loaf. Bake for 1 hour. Mine took much longer.

Serves 4 to 6.
___________________________

This meatloaf was very soupy before I baked it - I never thought I would be able to slice it. I left it in the pan overnight and then sliced it and reheated it the next day. The slices were very tender after they were reheated but they held together (I had to be very careful with them.)

I usually like a topping on my meatloaf (tomato sauce, ketchup and brown sugar, etc), but I thought this was very flavorful with just the bacon. You could definitely taste the thyme and I used crumbs from the Sour Cream Corn Cake that I had leftover in the freezer. That corn bread was flavored with some rosemary.

So I would have really enjoyed this but my son was having some redness around his mouth which always sets me on edge and made me lose my appetite. He has a cold and I think they played outside yesterday and we were having unseasonably cold weather so that was probably all it was (redness from his dripping nose). Food allergies make you paranoid though, and all three of us have been suffering from colds and congestion so he sounded a little wheezy too, making me even more paranoid. He was acting absolutely fine and he turned out fine but my stomach was in knots for a few hours.

Then to top it all off, my dishwasher died again. Same problem I paid almost $100 to fix just a few months ago. It's just not worth it to put any more money into that piece of garbage. The old dishwasher was 20 years old and still working (something busted underneath and I thought it would be a good time to replace the dishwasher). The new one lasted less than 3 years??? Appliance manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.

I bought this cookbook with the intention of doing a gluten-free experiment at some point in the future. I'm not sure when I'll get around to that. I'll need more than just this one cookbook. It's a decent cookbook but I'm guessing that there are better gluten-free cookbooks out there.

Blast From The Past: Brown Sugar Meat Loaf from October 2005. That's a good meat loaf recipe too but I think that ground turkey makes a much more tender meat loaf than ground beef.

Question of the Day: What are your plans for Easter?

4 comments:

Heather said...

Interesting recipe for Turkey meatloaf. I make it all the time, but it always turns out differently. I have noticed that ground turkey is also much more tender than ground beef, especially if you us the beef that is low in fat.
For Easter I am trying out a bunch of new recipes: Beef Brisket, Balsamic new potatoes and CL carrot Cake. I am quite excited to try everything.
How about you?

Anonymous said...

I have one recipe for turkey meatloaf from my SIL that I really like, but I'm going to try this one too. Sounds good.
Hmmm...Easter. We had big plans to travel to spend the weekend with Wanda and family but DH and I won't get to go because he isn't yet able. Daughter and granddaughters went and I'm sure will have a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear about it and (hopefully) see it on her blog.

Jan

Unknown said...

I'm actually having Easter lunch at my apartment. We'll have ham (not my favorite but for some reason tradition), probably red potatoes, asparagus, some kind of fruit salad, and some form of dessert. Not really planned out yet!

This turkey meatloaf really looks pretty good. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Randi said...

If you want a really tasty beef meatloaf( I've never actually tasted it, but my sister raves about it). try Martha stewarts meatloaf 101.

I cooked on Wednesday. 2 lasagnas that I froze. I'm making ceasar salad and foccacia. I also made hot fudge and an ice cream pie. I'm making a fruit pie on Sunday too. My MIL is coming over. I just got an email from my PO Box in MI that your books have arrived. I'll be heading there on Wednesday to get them. Thanks