Thursday, January 18, 2007

Cornbread and a slump



Sour Cream Corn Bread
Taste of Home The Complete Guide To Country Cooking Copyright 1998

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed I used about 3/4 teaspoon
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg, sour cream, milk and butter; add to cornmeal mixture and mix just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

Yield: 9 servings
_____________________________

I wanted something to serve with the Texas-Style Chili that I made a few days ago so I searched out a cornbread recipe. I really wanted more of a Tex-Mex style cornbread with chilis and corn (creamed or kernels) but I seemed to be missing ingredients for most recipes I found so I settled on this one. I was hesitant about the rosemary so I added a bit less than a full teaspoon but it really did add a nice background flavor to the cornbread.

This was nice, better than the Cornmeal Cheddar Muffins. Of course, these has a cup of sour cream in them. That definitely gave them a nice moist texture. Although, I sort of mixed the chili and cornbread together so did it really matter how moist it was?

I froze the rest of this for another time but come to think of it, I believe that there are still a couple of those Cornmeal Cheddar Muffins hiding out in the corner of the freezer. I might have to try my hand at a cornbread stuffing recipe soon.

I'm in a slump. I want to cook, I just don't know what to cook. Last night was menu planning night and I didn't even pick up a cookbook. I had to bake a cake for my boss who's leaving for a new job and I just wasn't in the mood to look at recipes. I had several days off and I tried to do my planning early but I couldn't come up with anything. I'll come up with something. I always do.

Blast From The Past: Quick Tamale Casserole from October 2006. I used some of the Cormeal Cheddar Muffins as a topping for this.

Question of the Day: How far ahead do you plan your menu?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do it by weeks so I know what to get at the grocery store when I go shopping.

Heather said...

I try and get my menu finalized on Sunday morning before we go to the store. With trying to be healthy this takes a little longer to make the menu and the shopping list. I know it is going to get easier, I just need to figure out what my main staples are going to be and go from there.

Anonymous said...

I make a menu every Sunday morning before we got to the store. That way I know what I need to buy. I started doing this when we were saving money for a house so that we didn't impulse shop or eat out during the week because we had no ideas for dinner and it's really worked out well. I like knowing what I'm having for dinner every night so I don't have to think about it after work when I'm hungry and just want to eat.

Kristen said...

I do my menu twice a month...based on pay days! I get in slumps too, but that's why I menu plan...so that when I'm in a slump all I have to do is look at my menu you and do what it says to do.

Your cornbread looks really good!

DancesInGarden said...

I plan for five meals so I can get what I need at the store. Then we immediately abandon those menus and make whatever I have time to throw together or gets the least negative response from the peanut gallery ;)

Anonymous said...

Plan? Menu?
I'm just not that organized and I have no exuse.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a day or so ahead but mostly the morning of, when I decide what meat to get from the freezer. An exception is when we are having guests. I think it would be great to have a week planned, but I think we would have it all changed around before we hardly started.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I plan my menu out on Sundays.I try really hard (and most of the time succeed) in keeping with the menu.Sometimes I add or delete something based on time or mood though.

Anonymous said...

We get paid fortnightly so do the big shop fortnightly and by that reasoning I plan a fortnightly menu. I do the dinners for the 2 week period as well as three or four cookie/cake recipes during that time.