Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Chili and panic



Texas-Style Chili
365 Favorite Brand Name Hamburger Copyright 1997

1 ½ pounds ground beef or cubed round steak
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 can (2.25 ounces) diced green chilies, drained the smallest can I found was 4.5 ounces - I used the whole can
1 package (1.48 ounces) Lawry’s Spices & Seasonings for Chili I used the chili seasoning blend I used for tacos
1 ½ tablespoons cornmeal
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can (14 ½ ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
¾ cup water
sour cream (optional)
shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

In Dutch oven or large saucepan, brown beef in oil until crumbly. Drain beef, reserving fat; set beef aside. Add bell pepper and onion to Dutch oven; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return beef to Dutch oven. Add chilies, Spices and Seasonings for Chili, cornmeal, chili powder, sugar and cayenne pepper; blend well. Stir in tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve topped with sour cream or Cheddar cheese, if desired.
___________________________________

I'm working under many restraints right now, trying to use what's on hand. I have lots of leftovers from the party but I stuck those in the freezer, to prevent us from eating the same thing several days in a row. However, that didn't leave me many options since I didn't want to spend another small fortune at the grocery store (something I've doing a lot lately). I had just about everything to make this chili and it really hit the spot.

Believe it or not, this is my entry for Sweetnick's ARF/5-A-Day Tuesdays. This was loaded with peppers, onions, chilies and tomatoes.

Oh damn, I keep forgetting that I said I would make the cake for my boss's last day Friday. I was going to make it today and freeze it for a few days but looking at the packed state of my freezer, I'm not sure if that's doable. I really don't want to be scrambling at the last minute but it keeps slipping out of my mind that I need to do this. Why or why did I open my big mouth? Well, I really do want to do it. She's always appreciated my baked goods and that's a high compliment because she's a twig who really watches what she eats. It's just that I'm all caked out after making my son's cake.

Blast From The Past: Caucasian Eggplant Caviar from August 2006. I almost made this as an appetizer last weekend but I just never got around to it. I've been craving it.

Question of the Day: Do you like chili? How do you usually make your chili?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like chili but don't eat it often because it usually has a lot of beef in it (not a huge fan of that). My mom's recipes, which I need to post, uses a cup or so of beer. My dad says that it really tastes different without it and is better with it! I have a couple of vegetarian chilis that I want to try, but my roommate doesn't like beans, so I don't know if I'll get to try.

Anonymous said...

We had chili last night too! I put turkey in it instead of ground beef and I liked it just as well. I also put in a can of diced tomatoes, some garlic, an onion, and kidney beans (ick). I use the McCormick seasoning packets you get from the store.

Anonymous said...

Paula you rock! That chili looks amazing.We are sitting around waiting for the snow to start and I am off to make a big batch of chili! Thanks for the inspiration!

DancesInGarden said...

I LOVE chili, and I like it very brothy with some good crusty bread and COLD butter LOL. I have some turkey white bean chili in the freezer I should defrost one of these days and divide for lunches. Good idea. Thanks!

Heather said...

I love chili, funny how long I went not liking chili.
I have followed a couple of different recipes for chili, but the one thing that is always the same is that I like it spicy!
I recently found a good chili through the Biggest Loser website and am in love. I am going to post about it soon.

Anonymous said...

Love chili! I make it with chutney in it~ it gives it a sweet hot. You know we southerners like it sweet...and hot.

Anonymous said...

I love chili...(Texan, you know). I vary the way I make it, but I don't use packaged mixes or seasonings. That and cornbread - ummmm!

Anonymous said...

Oh, well, back to my old habits...forgot to sign my name.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I do like chili and I'll eat it just about any way. My new favorite is white chicken chili... yummy!