Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Waffles, waffles and more waffles



Out-of-This-World Waffles
The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook Copyright 1999

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons sugar I used 2-3 tablespoons
2 large eggs, beaten
2 ½ cups milk
¾ cup vegetable oil

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine eggs, milk, and oil; add to flour mixture, stirring with a wire whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened. Cook in preheated, oiled waffle iron until golden.

Yield: 22 4-inch waffles
________________________________

These were really, really good waffles but I wouldn't want to get into the habit of making these all of the time, since they use only white flour and a lot of oil. Although this recipe really did make at least 22 waffles. I wasn't even done making them when I took this picture.

I added a smidgen more sugar because I like waffles a bit sweet so I could skip the syrup. That's probably not fair because I ate one waffle plain and my husband will eat the only 20-something waffles with syrup but, hey, I'm the cook.

Blast From The Past: Baked Chicken With Honey And Mustard from May 2006. We had this last night. It's very good.

Question of the Day: When was the last time that you ate a waffle?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

NY day, I made waffles at work. Have you tried the yeast risen waffles from CI? Or can your son eat buckwheat flour? The banana cinnamon waffles from Cooking Light are so good.

Anonymous said...

I had waffles 2 weeks ago on Saturday. My dad's homemade version and they were great.

Wanda said...

Gosh.... I don't even remember when. Maybe a couple of years...?

DancesInGarden said...

A few weeks ago I used some leftover boxed pancake mix to make waffles for DD and I. They were very good, but not as crisp as I expected. Not bad all in all though.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

22? That's a lot of waffles!

It's been ages...at least a few months.

ThursdayNext said...

I had a frozen special K ones two weeks ago...not the same as a real one. ;)

Anonymous said...

Too long! I have been craving waffles all day! Guess what I am making in the morning? Great blog,by the way.

Anonymous said...

I have a really great recipe for waffles with practically no oil, no eggs and whole wheat flour. drop me a line if you would like it.

The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm surprised to see so many people eating waffles, since we didn't eat many before getting this waffle iron.

Randi,
I did look up that recipe after you mentioned it once before. I think it has flaxseed, right? I need to pick some up and then I'll try that one.

Sara,
Is that recipe on your blog?

Anonymous said...

I guess Wanda and I are truly "hit with the same sack of flour", as it's been ages since I have had a waffle. I don't even remember. I don't eat pancakes, either, however.

Jan

Betsy said...

We love this very recipe! I linked to you from my blog, so that I could share your ideas as well.

Anonymous said...

We only had them at hotel breakfasts until I bought a waffle maker last year. Those weren't all that great. So far our favorite recipes are the Buttermilk Waffles and Maple-Bran Waffles from The America's Test Kitchen Cookbook, and the Hazelnut Waffles with Pear Compote, Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Waffles, Whole Wheat Sourdough Waffles, and Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Waffles from King Arthur Whole Grain Baking. They're all REALLY REALLY good!!! I haven't tried their recipe for Cornmeal-Rye Waffles yet.