Monday, January 01, 2007

My 2007 Culinary and Blogging Resolutions

Here we go again:

1. Respond to comments more regularly. I read them all, that's for certain, but I haven't been responding to most comments personally because I wasn't sure I could keep up when I get busy. I had sort of an all-or-nothing attitude about it but I'm just going to try to do the best I can.
2. Participate in more food blog events.
3. Spend more time describing the cookbooks I'm using. They kind of get lost in the background but I'll try to spotlight them a little bit more.
4. Make homemade marshmallows. Carried over from last year's resolutions.
5. Can something. Anything. Maybe jam, maybe pickles. Carried over from last year's resolutions.
6. Use my electric smoker. Carried over from last year's resolutions.
7. Make homemade pierogis. I tried it once and the result wasn't too spectacular but I'm going to try again.
8. Cook from scratch more often. Try to make things I normally might buy if it's healthier or more frugal or maybe just for the heck of it to see if I can make something from scratch.
9. Waste less. I waste too much food.
10. Experiment with more yeast breads. Last year was really the first year I worked with yeast and I did use it a lot but I'd like use it even more this year, maybe even break free from the bread machine.

Hopefully I'll be more than 50 percent successful this year. I think this list is pretty doable but I thought that last year too.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Happy New Year, Paula!
I like your Culinary Resolutions!
I hope that you do can so I can be inspired; I would love to make jam this summer. I hope you have a great first day of 2007!
Cheers,
Amy

Heather said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like great resolutions to me. I think my number one resolution is going to be to cook healthier.

DancesInGarden said...

Can I make some perogie suggestions? First of all, make sure the filling tastes good before you start. Potatoes and cheese are bland to begin with, you have to season it properly with salt and pepper.

As for the dough, I find that a firmer dough tastes best and is easier to work with. If it is too soft, the perogies will be harder to fill, stick to everything, and not have a great mouth feel.

Don't try to get too much filling in there, when learning. You don't need much, and you can put more and more as you gain experience.

Most recipes state they are done when they float to the top. I find they must simmer for a few minutes while they float around.

If your problem was opening and losing filling, don't use water to make a seal (it never works and you shouldn't need it). Try using your hands to wipe off any extra flour on the circle. Be very careful not to get any filling on the edges. And turn the heat down under the water, if it boils too hard it can knock fragile seals apart.

Have fun!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

Amy,
I hope we both get to make jam this summer. I can't wait to hit the 'auction' for fresh fruits and veggies this year. This mild winter is nice but I fear winter might just come late and run right into spring, delaying or ruining this year's produce.

Heather,
Cooking healthier is always my number one unstated resolution but I know there will be times when I'll splurge a bit. Balance is the key.

Dances,
My problem was pierogi dough that was too tough and too thick. There are so many variations on pierogi dough and I have no idea what I'm shooting for so I need to start experimenting.