Friday, January 19, 2007

I stuck to the plan



Pork Chops with Country Gravy
Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007 Copyright 2006

¼ cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried rubbed sage
Since I realized I had no sage, I used poultry seasoning in place of the three seasonings called for
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about ¾-inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter
Cooking spray
1 ½ cups 1% low-fat milk

1. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, salt, and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
2. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once. Remove pork from pan; keep warm.
3. Combine reserved flour mixture and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to pan; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen brown bits. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. I seasoned it with additional salt and pepper. Serve with chops.

Yield: 4 servings Per serving: 252 cal, 9.6 g fat, 28.9 g protein, 10.6 g carbs, .3 g fiber, 83 mg chol, 584 mg sodium
________________________________

To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to these pork chops. I don't know why, but as dinnertime approached I thought about doing something else with the chops. For lack of any other ideas I did end up making this recipe and I enjoyed it too. It was a nice simple, homey recipe. What's nice is that if you have the pork in the freezer, you could make this dish out of pantry ingredients.

Why do short work weeks always end up feeling longer? I'm ready for the weekend. I buckled down and figured out most of next week's menu last night so I think I'm getting my groove back.

Blast From The Past: Easy Cream Puff Cake from May 2006, just because it's so pretty.

Question of the Day: Do you ever change your mind about your planned dinner at the last minute? Do you tough it out? Do you make something else?

5 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Paula, Long time no comment, huh. Sorry I have'nt been around. I missed looking at your posts.

I usually stick to the plan unless I don't have an ingredient that is key to the recipe,

Anonymous said...

Yes - sometimes - sometimes. Basically, I'm a loose cannon in the kitchen.

Jan

Anonymous said...

It happens sometimes. Life gets in the way, something doesn't defrost in time, one of us gets sick or we just aren't in the mood for the planned dinner. Sometimes I'll make something else and sometimes, like last night for example, the steaks weren't defrosted and I was home sick, so we got hoagies from the local deli.

Anonymous said...

I usually stick to what I have planned but if I really can't be bothered I'll swap it with something else on the fortnightly menu plan.

BTW - I have tagged you for a meme over at my blog. No pressure, just if you want to.

ThursdayNext said...

I usually stick to what I have planned, though once in a while I have been known to freeze ingredients here and there if I start craving something else and can't get the idea out of my head!