Monday, January 29, 2007

Showing off my pretty new mug


Champurro (Mexican Cocoa)
Mexican Family Favorites Cookbook Copyright 2005

1 cup evaporated milk I used lowfat evaporated milk
1 cup water
3 Tbsp. flour
4 Tbsp. cocoa
dash salt
8 tsp. sugar

Heat milk and water to a fast boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat.

In a mixing bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt and sugar with ¼ cup water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add cocoa mixture to milk mixture and blend in well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Allow Champurro to come to a carefully-watched bubbly boil. Serve in mugs. Sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg. I skipped the nutmeg and added whipped cream.

Makes 2 cups.
____________________________

This was kind of nice but it may not be for everyone. It wasn't that sweet on it's own (you could add more sugar if you like) but I thought it was just perfect with the whipped cream. The thickness (it's like a thin gravy) allowed it to be sipped slowly - I have a tendency to chug cocoa as soon as it gets cool enough to do so safely. I was able to get a chocolate fix without overdoing it. Of course, I found myself mixing small amounts of the cold leftovers with larger amounts of whipped cream, making a quick chocolate mousse so there is always the opportunity to overdo things.

I actually planned on posting about something else I made this weekend but I didn't get around to getting a picture or typing out the recipe yet. I was feeling very lazy this weekend.

On Saturday, I made chicken cheesesteaks with the Italian rolls I made last week. They came out perfect, if I do say so myself (just seasoned chicken and onion with cheese, mayo and a bit of romaine). I thought that was a good use of the Italian rolls since I didn't want to make the Hot Italian subs again so soon or we'd get sick of them.

Well right after we ate the chicken cheesesteaks, my husband came in with that look on his face that he gets when he wants to ask me if he can have some action later on. But instead, he asked if I would make the Italian subs the next day. And he quickly followed that by also asking for some action later on. So I ended up making the Italian subs on Sunday and going through all of my Italian rolls this weekend. I'll have to make more next weekend.

I have a problem. I can't seem to stay motivated without buying new cookbooks. I know there are plenty of good recipes in the books on my shelves but it's so much more exciting buying new cookbooks. I guess it's a healthier addiction that cigarettes or alcohol (and I can buy a nice cookbook in Ollie's for the price of a pack of cigarettes these days).

I'm going to have to change to new Blogger soon. Why am I so afraid?

Blast From the Past: Café Rico from November 2006, also from this cookbook. There are lots of good recipes in this book so I have no idea why I've only made two beverages from it so far, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Question of the Day: If you walked into a typical sub shop (with subs, sandwiches, salads, etc), what would you order?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

9 times out of 10, if I go to a new sub shop, I order their version of an Italian sub. Usually, I'm not disappointed. In fact, I like the "Italian sub" every sub shop I've ever been to...go figure.

Anonymous said...

"Veggies and cheese". Basically, I pay for the condiments everybody else gets for free ROFL.

So. Did he get his action? *SNORK!* Tee hee!

Anonymous said...

We have a restaurant here in KC called Planet Sub. Their original hot "Planet Sub" is the best. It's the only kind of sandwich I order with everything on it, the way they make it.

Pretty new mug, btw.

Randi said...

because the new blogger suck!!! I wish I could go back.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Don't be afraid of new blogger. It does suck big-time to start with but then you get the hang of it and work out how to do a few extra bits and it ends up being okay. Honest!

Rebel In Ontario said...

Beautiful mug!

I almost always order the same thing unless they are out...a seafood sub with no cheese, lots of lettuce and tomato and pickles. If they are out of seafood (which happens often) then I usually order one with roasted chicken of some kind. I do like Quizno's Black Angus Beef with mushrooms and onions...yummy!

The new blogger just takes some getting used to, then it is as easy or easier than the old version! Be brave...

Linda said...

and a gorgeous mug it is at that. i've found that the mug makes all the difference. the bigger the better!

The Cookbook Junkie said...

So far so good with new Blogger but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I never know what I'll order - I'm always in the mood for something different which is why I don't want to make Italian subs for DH every week! I do like Italian subs but I also like tuna hoagies and seafood salad. I love the combo of turkey and bacon too.